Do i need bigger heads on my 318?

-

slipyoke

Reaction score
SO i have a 71 318 ready to go to the machine shop where im going to have it cleaned up and bourd .030 over. I was just going to rebuild my heads and slap them on, now am i going to be ok with that or do i need step it up? allso what is a decent mild cam for that guy? sorry guys im super new to the mopar thing. Was a jeep guy for a long time now im trying my hand at hoarse power. thanks

318's don't need bigger heads or valves for that matter unless you are going to look for high rpm use only. if it is a dalily driver w/ very limited upper rpm range 5600+ than keep the 318 stock heads and install larger exhaust valves. look to the many threads on here for further info. bjr is the 318-360 expert here. he can set you in the right direction. if you over cam it the car will lay down on the bottom end and do little to impress you. look for a cam that fits your intended use. comp cams xe 256 is a great daily driver cam. step it up to a xe 262 for the next level. your gearing, carb, and many other factors will determin this....so in a nut shell if it is a basic daily driver comp cams xe 256, stock heads with good valve job will do fine!

Take a look at the 322 thread in the tech archives or take a look at my web site www.bjrracing.com and look at the small block section and this should explain things a little better for you.

They should be about 22" long... :D
Seriously, for a Jeep application, stock heads are fine. Have them redone and a cam in the 215-218°@.050 is fine. I like the XE256 Comp.

Hey thanks a lot for putting up with this newb guys.

-
Back