Do I need different control arms?

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Hi all;

Quite a few years back I pulled brand new rotors,spindles,4 piston kelsey hayes calipers,master cylinder, power brake booster,proportioning valve,and brake lines from caliper to master to valve from a wrecked 68 Cuda.The calipers have a small bolt pattern.And yes everything was new...

I still have all this stuff.Havent yet installed it due to life in general,lol,I know lame excuse but the 70 Dart it's going on is a BIG resto project thus collecting parts still.I just grabbed the stuff because of a ridiculously low price!

Anyways,my point and question is this.I did not grab the control arms from the Cuda,nor ball joints for some silly reaon.So in order to install these disc brakes on my Dart which has 10" drums,what do I need?Do I just get the disc ball joints,and maybe some clearance grinding on the lower control arms?I do know that by now the caliper pistons are probably stuck,so I'll have to do something about that.

I know I have asked this on another forum,but it has been years...

Well i can tell you this, i have a 67 barracuda fastback with the same front disc brake set up..and the problem you will have is that the control arms will not be the same. These specific brakes on the 67-69 barracuda year range were what i like to call "special". These were the only years that are universal for the control arms and their application. If the plungers are seized and are no longer usable you are looking at paying about 13 dollars per cylinder, that times 8 cylinders can be pricy. If i were you i would really look for a mopar B Body brake set-up, it will eliminate a lot of hassle, trust me. If you really want to spend a little money on these brakes contact P-S-T (performance suspension technology) they will set you in the right path. Good luck on the project, its always MOPAR or NO CAR!!

raybestos sells the calipers. just use yours for cores. as long as you have the spindles, you can buy new lower balljoints. all 63-76 lower control arms are the same(without sway bar tabs) and then 72 and earlier/73- later for sway bar specific ones. 66-72 had all the same upper control arms. the same pads and rotors are used till 72. ssbc also sells a quick change upgrade to their calipers from factory ones for 72 and earlier.

raybestos sells the calipers. just use yours for cores. as long as you have the spindles, you can buy new lower balljoints. all 63-76 lower control arms are the same(without sway bar tabs) and then 72 and earlier/73- later for sway bar specific ones. 66-72 had all the same upper control arms. the same pads and rotors are used till 72. ssbc also sells a quick change upgrade to their calipers from factory ones for 72 and earlier.

Good info!Was exactly what I needed to know.

So new lower ball joints,new calipers from rabestos,probably resurface the rotors to be safe.

Who is ssbc?Stainless steel brake company would be my guess...

ssbc=stainless steel brake company

mic the rotors to see if they are still good. you have to have about .015 above that number AFTER the cut to still be in spec. that is so you can run them down to minimum. wagner sells replacement rotors.

ssbc=stainless steel brake company

mic the rotors to see if they are still good. you have to have about .015 above that number AFTER the cut to still be in spec. that is so you can run them down to minimum. wagner sells replacement rotors.

If you need to replace the rotors you can get them at partzfinders. I paid $129 for a pair with free shipping last March.

I believe the rotors are fine.They were brand new when pulled,as were the bearings.I'll break out the mic never the less.

A sad story behind that parts donor.It had just been completed and sold to a young guy.He promtly rolled it into a field and completey totalled the car.

Nice ride too.360,4 speed, dana 60,disc brakes,sway bars.Too bad the other stuff was allready claimed though!

-
Back