Do I Need Sliders?

-

Jay Anderson

Reaction score
I'm getting my 68 Valiant mini-tubbed and springs moved in. I have Cal-Tracs with stock (new) leaf springs. It's come up that sliders may benefit me. This is a street/strip car with a 545 horse small block, automatic, leaving on the transbrake. Anyone with experience with this?

I run sliders on my Duster. They're not a mandatory kind of item, you don't NEED them. But they reduce binding, and have less resistance to spring movement than the shackles do, so the springs can react more quickly. Plus, because there's no vertical arm between the pivot point and the spring eye they reduce side to side movement and bushing flex as well.

There's a few ways to do it, you should look into how Youngun2.0 did his here My HDK install thread.

sliders027.jpg

sliders028.jpg

He set his up into the frame rail to further lower the car, but even mounting them flush to the bottom of the frame rail would lower the car slightly because of the way the shackles mount.

When I mounted them on my car I just made a bracket that bolted to the shackle mount, but I only have a 1/2" spring offset. Mounted like this, or to the bottom of the rail, lowers the car maybe a 1/4" to 3/8" compared to shackles.

IMG_2580_zpsuuetr2gp.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsvhkdudkp.jpg

-
Back