Do I need to add the LCA braces?

-

buck351

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm going to replace the torsion bars with 1" bars. I noticed they make braces for the lower control arm. Do I have to worry about adding these since I've increased the size of the bars or is it fine without them.

Is this the type of reinforcement you are thinking of?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/coarmstpl.html

If so, probably not, unless you are auto cross, track, or drag racing. That said, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to stiffen the lower control arm. I have 0.940” bars on my Dart without the reinforcement. The car is a daily driver… that is, when the sun is out , and the car handles nicely.

Is this the type of reinforcement you are thinking of?

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/coarmstpl.html

If so, probably not, unless you are auto cross, track, or drag racing. That said, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to stiffen the lower control arm. I have 0.940” bars on my Dart without the reinforcement. The car is a daily driver… that is, when the sun is out , and the car handles nicely.

Yes that's it. Everyone suggested the 1" bars for my 67 GTS, probably because of the 383. Thanks.

Yes that's it. Everyone suggested the 1" bars for my 67 GTS, probably because of the 383. Thanks.

If you car is an original 67 383 GTS I would definitely not weld those plates on your lower control arms.

Very small gain for a lower handling performance use. And I would try to keep the non original stuff on a car like that all bolt on and removeable.

If you car is an original 67 383 GTS I would definitely not weld those plates on your lower control arms.

Very mall gain for lower handling performance use. And I would try to keep the non original stuff on a car like that all bolt on and removeable.

X2 unless you got different lcas.
What is wrong with the T bars in it?

X2 unless you got different lcas.
What is wrong with the T bars in it?

Drivers side only has about 1" or less of adjustment left and passenger side has about 1.75". Front end is low needs to come up. Now I know why the guy who aligned it didn't raise it more. He gave some other reason.

Very small gain for a lower handling performance use. And I would try to keep the non original stuff on a car like that all bolt on and removeable.

Yes good point. Only has a few bolt on things and is an original 67 GTS that has been mostly restored. A few more things to do.

Has build sheet and documentation from Chrysler Historical. Car was purchased from Grand Spalding Dodge aka Mr Norms. I got it from the original owner when it was about 1.5 years old. Second oldest 67 GTS on the the registry.

The question always asked are V8, cop car, and race bars too stiff; NO! My Dart is still sprung softer than my 300C AWD. /6 and small block engines are close in weight, big blocks will add 300 lbs or so the front end, look at a one inch plus bar diameters, you won’t be disappointed.

Swapping out torsion bars is a non invasive drivability upgrade that is easily reversed by a future owner/collector. By today, standards, all cars from the sixties were all grossly under sprung from the factory, and benefit from stiffer springs to meet the demands of a more aggressive driving environment.

-
Back