Do i need to reinfrorce when cutting for fenderwell headers?????

-

MR JIM

Reaction score
Well here we go again....
I got some Hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers..Do any one know if you need to put in reinforcement when cutting the holes??????And what about the front cross member I will be running "Engine plate or Elephant ears"?????
Thanx for all input JIM.

Some people put on snout bars. They run from the cage down bars buy your feet through the fire wall into the motor bay then down to the front frame rails. You can also run a bar off of the snout bars to the shock mount. Both are good things to do if you are taking the wells out all the way. If you are just ctting a hole big enough to run the headers out it is not needed as much but still recomended.

When I put fenderwell headers on my car in the 1970's I tried several body shops trying to find somebody that would cut the inner fenders. None would do it, saying it would weaken the body. With the things I put my car through after cutting the holes for the headers I wouldn't worry at all about the structural integrity of the body for any normal type of driving. I launched my car through the air & landed pretty hard on more than one occasion (young and STUPID) & the body held up fine, though I don't know how. I didn't even have subframe connectors. I would think that if the front end was going to collapse because of those holes I gave it every chance to do so. :-D

I ran an early barracuda with fenderwell headers and no other modifications with no problem but I cut the holes just big enough to get the headers out with the engine installed.

-
Back