Do these 440 dyno numbers look right?

-
Ok - so you've got what's required then. Too little preload is better than too much IMO but yes, it can change how the cam behaves. Maybe it is a case of the dyno being a little off. If it runs well aside from the numbers - then wait until this Siberian winter ends and take it to the track...

Was this a chassis Dyno? If so what about converter slip? What Stall and size converter are you running? What about the rest of the driveline? Transmission? Rear axle?

Ok - so you've got what's required then. Too little preload is better than too much IMO but yes, it can change how the cam behaves. Maybe it is a case of the dyno being a little off. If it runs well aside from the numbers - then wait until this Siberian winter ends and take it to the track...

I agree 100%. When I have an adjustable valve train, I like running them a tad loose. I think though hydraulic rollers are an exception to that rule though. Everything I've read and experienced says they like more preload.

Was this a chassis Dyno? If so what about converter slip? What Stall and size converter are you running? What about the rest of the driveline? Transmission? Rear axle?

Chassis Dyno. This is a 4 speed car with 3.55 8 3/4 rear.

Well I'll definitely be readjusting the valves shortly. Is it possible I have the cam timing advanced too much? I seem to remember I advanced it some to lower the power curve because of the size of the cam, but don't remember how much. I'm bad about researching and not making a record of what I did and why after making a decision. Now I want to tear it apart and see what it is set at and possibly adjust it. I really don't want to since I just got it back together but I'd like to have it running great this summer so I'll have to make time.

I know that advancing the cam timing will bring the power in sooner but will it also make less power due to the lower RPM's? I thought it was interesting that the motor is able to idle at 600 RPM but I attribute it to the Atomic EFI working it's magic.

Again - you don't know for sure if it's "running great" or just the dyno. So I'd be patient and wait until you can get real data.

-
Back