do we go to far on this cars some time????

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well do we????? i got this dart a little over a yr. ago and just started to really work on this thing in the last few mths...and every time i turn around i found something else i would like to do to the car....i said i just want it to look nice when i drive it ok thats cool...yea right i have sanded this car ,primed it,block sanded the car, and primed it again with 3 good coats....painted under the hood,painted the truck inside,and will do the door jams tomm...not to talk about the rust spots i cut out and replaced....i had said i was going to have this thing running by the end of jan...well its now feb.1 and the motor is still not in it...really wish i would have spent all this time on my duster...(would have been done by now as it only needed floor pans....well rant over :banghead::banghead::banghead::study::study::study:

Going to far is why I dont have a car right now. I cant do anything on a budget or good enough for a driver. If its not done just right Im not happy and I just cant afford perfect right now LOL

i know the feeling adam ...i have both cars for sale.lol the duster and the dart....but for some reason i keep working on the dart ..lol crazy i guess...or the love for the hobby mike

It's the nature of the beast.

When I bought my '74 Duster in 2006, It needed the transmission installed and the interior put back together. Along with a little body work & paint. I figured it'd be on the road in no time...

I discovered the original 318 needed some freeze plugs, so it got pulled out the same day I bought the car. And immediately I thought "it'd be better with a 340"... So I started putting together a 340, and I thought. "Gonna need a good transmission and a Floorshifter" so I stuffed a 340/727 in the car, with a Challenger Slapstik Shifter.

well, there went my original bench seat, so in went a set of Bucket Seats and a Center Console. Thought to myself "A Rallye Cluster would be cool" So I yanked out the original Speedometer/Cluster and installed a Rallye Cluster.

Drove it around for a little bit with the original 2.45 ratio 8.25" Rear and decided It needed a better rear, so I swapped in a B-body 8.75" with a 489 3.23 ratio Sure Grip chunk.

It's still going on to this day, I'm repainting it (again) and converting it to a 4-speed, as well as installing a Supercharger... Welcome to the world of muscle cars and their never ending modifications :D

well do we????? i got this dart a little over a yr. ago and just started to really work on this thing in the last few mths...and every time i turn around i found something else i would like to do to the car....i said i just want it to look nice when i drive it ok thats cool...yea right i have sanded this car ,primed it,block sanded the car, and primed it again with 3 good coats....painted under the hood,painted the truck inside,and will do the door jams tomm...not to talk about the rust spots i cut out and replaced....i had said i was going to have this thing running by the end of jan...well its now feb.1 and the motor is still not in it...really wish i would have spent all this time on my duster...(would have been done by now as it only needed floor pans....well rant over :banghead::banghead::banghead::study::study::study:

Sure but it will be nice when it's done. And well worth the extra work. tmm

you can also go the other route... I have had my Barracuda for over 10 years. Driving it all the time, still not painted, done some on the inside, put in a killer sound system, 3 different sets of wheels, 2nd tranny, 3rd engine, upgraded to discs and BBP in the front, gas gauge and temp gauge still don't work.... BUT, at least I get to drive it! (although my wife would really really like one car that is 100% done! LOL)

I think thats what has gotten me on the last 3 cars I've bought. None of them were road worthy so they needed work before I could drive them. Which of coarse to me mean rip the car apart and do a full resto. If they were drivers when I bought them I would just do smaller upgrades as I enjoyed it.

you can also go the other route... I have had my Barracuda for over 10 years. Driving it all the time, still not painted, done some on the inside, put in a killer sound system, 3 different sets of wheels, 2nd tranny, 3rd engine, upgraded to discs and BBP in the front, gas gauge and temp gauge still don't work.... BUT, at least I get to drive it! (although my wife would really really like one car that is 100% done! LOL)

Oh the put the stuff off till next weekend but next weekend you put it off again till next weekend, lol

I scored nos manual window regulators a few years back. The passenger side teeth were strip and the window so would not crank all the way up and if you yank it up by hand, then it won't crank down without first pushing the window down till it got on the good teeth.

One season came and went, it made it up from the basement to a garage but never got put on. The next season it sat it the garage and come Nov, I said its not going back in the basement and finally got on--took like a whole 2 hours if that.

If it was the drivers side it would have be done earlier. Well least its done, now I can open and close the window from the drivers seat, how nice.

Going to far is why I dont have a car right now. I cant do anything on a budget or good enough for a driver. If its not done just right Im not happy and I just cant afford perfect right now LOL

Then you should do a rat rod.

thats the thing the dart was running and driven when igot it i just didnt like the little 6 in it and had a lot of small block parts...so guess what i did????stupid me sold most of the small block stuff and started building big block race motor and plan to put a stock 400 in the dart..oh oh wait for it...now i have got a set of ported 906 heads for the 400 and suppose to get some adj. rockers for it ...and you know i have to have a small solid cam dont you?????race motor about done and no body to put it in..plan to buy a chassis car for it so my son can drive and i have a street car...lol so much for that i guess.....but 1 of the cars has to go now .............:wack:cause i was a racer long before i was a street type guy..when i got the duster with the factory 318 in it i add cam, headers,intake,carb, and some gear use to beat up on mustangs and loved it cause i could race it after work...:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1: sometimes i just look at the car and shake my head ......

StrokerScamp, Im to picky. I dont like the Rat rod thing. Its got be shiny.

You're never "done". There's always something else and that's half the fun, which can lead to insanity or so my wife tells me. Yea we've been married for over 30 yrs. so she's seen it all.:glasses7:

I think Mopar means "snowball" in some other language!

...of course I also think Volvo means "moron" in Swedish.

Yep I know the feeling well, I went from street cars to building a race car. I bought the rolling Demon off Racing Junk and started out going to put a short deck stroker in. It started to be a money pit, so I shelved the stroker and found a 408 small block stroker. Someone had cut the mount stands off the k member, so I motor plated it with 1 7/8 super comp headers, reverse manual 727. Finally found a drive shaft and got it in. Now it's down to wiring and plumbing, and closing up the firewall/trans tunnel and driveshaft tunnel where it was cut out. I was laid off on August of last year, and the wife was laid off January of last year so whatever parts I need now have to come from swap meets, or horse trading with friends. Good luck with your project whatever direction it takes, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bill S.

well good to know i am not the only 1 with:grin: this kinda problem...lol

well good to know i am not the only 1 with:grin: this kinda problem...lol

Your lifetime membership card should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks, along with a row of stickers for your projects that say "Insanity has replaced reason in the modification of this vehicle" :D

i agree, as i ahve torn alot down to shells, to never finish one.
that is why i bought pinky, as whatever i did to it, was moving in the right direction, from where i got it as a shell!. that is why it is hard to let go now!.
money is always tight, and i can always build another, but i keep telling the wife that i have to at least drive the car some.lmao

we never go to far...you only go around once in life...I did what I did..and it snowballed since the nats..IT WAS THE NATS that did it to me...was just a driver till then........I dont think I went TOO FAR,....lol

I agree, THEY ARE NEVER DONE. I thought I was done when I finally got it on the road after 2 1/2 years of completely rebuilding it. Since then there has been something I have done to it each winter, that was 4 years ago. Nothing to big each year, but something. Next year is a big change, (I hope), that's when I put the blower engine together and install it. One thing I have learned is to plan way ahead. It costs much less that way as you can pick the parts up cheaper when you are not in a hurry for them.

Jack

Are you serious? A car guy is never really finished or happy. I have spent over $2k since November 1st and I have yet to turn a single wrench on my truck. Started out I wanted to fix the little things wrong with it then found good deal on headers, then a tuner, then an intake, then valve covers, then an air cleaner, yesterday I spent $1k on wheels and tires. It never ends now my plan for next deployment is to build a new motor since I want to go faster and I haven't even driven this thing with the mods I have in my garage. It never ends.

-
Back