Do You Carry Spare Gasoline in the Trunk?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I know there is always the remote possibility of a problem (fire/explosion) but I carry 5 gallons on my road trips.

Had to use it twice:

Once on a remote highway in Mexico where I was still 15-20 miles from the next town. This was because the gas stations were just too far apart.

Another time downtown Los Angeles about 100 yards from the off-ramp I planned on using for my next fuel stop. This was while still trying to figure out the accuracy of the fuel gauge.

Another time without having carried any extra fuel, my spouse was following me in remote Mexico again and I ran out of fuel just after having passed by a road-side stand that was selling fuel from five and ten gallon plastic containers. She went back and returned about five minutes later with the gas vendor. Had to pay a premium price, of course.

th.jpg

I don't but you can if you want to take the risk. You need a good can and someway to hold it down.

I use to until I got my gas gauge working. @TrailBeast had talked about installing a “reserve” tank. You ever get that done, Greg?

Now there is a thought....

A 5 gallon fuel cell in the trunk just may save the day

always, sometimes if the trunk is full, I put a fiver on the passenger front floor. I just watch where I flip my ash. lol
Please do not carry a fuel container in a unvented trunk. the life you save could be yours.

no. Not sure where I'd travel in the USA where I'd go over 300 miles without an opportunity to buy gas. .

Never. When my range gets to about 150 miles, I refuel. That way I am never tempted to stretch it. Use GPS. You can find most of the fuel stops.
Recently I needed fuel. I got to a well known chain using GPS. It was gutted for remodeling, and in the middle of nowhere. With 150 mile range left no problem.
Seems like carrying a spare would just cause a person to stretch it even more.
You can't keep it very long. It goes bad fast.

I'm always close to need another cup of coffee or need to pee so plenty of opportunities to top of the tank.

there is a gas station before i hit the on ramp out of ton, and there is another one on the off ramp at the drag strip

i'll be fine

I’ll be installing a 22 gallon mustang tank so if I ever run out of gas it’ll be my own fault.

Yeah, right next to the road flares and tire plug spike...LMFAO
I also love cellphoning at the gas pump while smoking Cuban cigars and showing off my zippo lighter tricks to the school kids walking by...

398E13BC-4371-428F-BEF4-3D3F1EAAFCDD.jpeg
no. Not sure where I'd travel in the USA where I'd go over 300 miles without an opportunity to buy gas. .
Try Nevada. Fueled up somewhere off 50, went about 40 miles and saw a sign “ next gas 181 or so miles. Range was about 200 miles before flirting with disaster. I carry an extra empty can (never used - no fumes). Before reaching Vegas in a town called Rachel, found a Bar next to a trailer park that had a tank for Quads. Got lucky. Since then, bought a custom tank from Ricks Tanks in El Paso for much $$$. Now have about 23 gallons wich should push range to near 300 miles.

View attachment 1715273239
Try Nevada. Fueled up somewhere off 50, went about 40 miles and saw a sign “ next gas 181 or so miles. Range was about 200 miles before flirting with disaster. I carry an extra empty can (never used - no fumes). Before reaching Vegas in a town called Rachel, found a Bar next to a trailer park that had a tank for Quads. Got lucky. Since then, bought a custom tank from Ricks Tanks in El Paso for much $$$. Now have about 23 gallons wich should push range to near 300 miles.
yeah, there may be a spot here and there that might push it. Just traveled in September through 9 states and over 3700 miles in a '77 Ramcharger that got 13 mpg out to the Grand Canyon. No issues with gas, not even close.

Now I could see night traveling through the desolate area's where small town stations are closed, that could be a problem. Might have to spend the night in a parking lot of a gas station. LOL

Last edited:
I do in the Power Wagon and I used to in the Duster when I was headed to the track.

135 mile range on the motorcicle. I take a ride over the hills to the next valley to see the mighty Cuyama River flowing, 75 miles one way. Cuyama has a little 2 pump station and they think their gas is really special, like $1/gal more than anywhere else in the state. Sure as life CLOSED. Ride 25 miles further east to gas up and return home :lol:. It still a nice ride, and Maricopa is such a lovely area :rofl:

The time my spouse following me as mentioned above in post #1, I believe what happened was that the vacuum advance failed on the 318 (ignition point style distributor and four-barrel AFB carb) I was driving and knocked the hell out of the highway gas mileage. I should not have run out of gas that soon. So, unexpected things like that could leave one stranded, even after having doing the math between stations.

howtogetunstuck.jpg

I strapped gas can to my trailer driving cross country.
(Wyoming)
Also packed a spare starter.
And I stopped ever 200 miles anyway to take a leg stretch and fill up.
But as long as the fuel gauge works in some fashion, I see no need for one in civilization.

upload_2019-1-9_13-1-38.jpeg

I think you guys advocating carrying gas in the passenger compartment are nuttier than a fruitcake. Having said that, I DID put a tank in the trunk of my 70RR in the gas crunch of the early seventies. Maybe I was stupid...........

Use a metal outboard motor fuel tank, strapped it down to the trunk floor and vented it overboard. Used an extra electric pump to dump fuel into the main tank when needed. It was needed a few times. After I got out of the Navy, and stayed closer to home, and the fuel situation eased, I never used it again.

I think you guys advocating carrying gas in the passenger compartment are nuttier than a fruitcake. Having said that, I DID put a tank in the trunk of my 70RR in the gas crunch of the early seventies. Maybe I was stupid...........

Use a metal outboard motor fuel tank, strapped it down to the trunk floor and vented it overboard. Used an extra electric pump to dump fuel into the main tank when needed. It was needed a few times. After I got out of the Navy, and stayed closer to home, and the fuel situation eased, I never used it again.

Here's one for carrying fuel and the possible hazards.
My Dad and I were taking gas to my Mom who had run out of gas out in the middle of nowhere, and we were on motorcycles.
The only can we had was one of those round 5 gallon metal ones, so I filled it up and strapped it down on my luggage rack.
My Dads bike had a trunk so we couldn't put it on his bike.

On our way out this winding road to where the gas needed to go I was rounding a corner and had my rear tire suddenly blow on the bike.
Not a whoosh of air type flat, but a boom type.:D
I was able to keep the bike upright and on the road, but it was a battle and all I could think about was that metal can sliding down the road and all the sparks it would make.
The next thought was how I was going to get away from it if it did go down on the road.

Had a picture like this in my mind the entire time I was managing the bike with a metal 5 gallon can on the back with a flat tire that was loose on the rim and skating around on me.:D

maxresdefault.jpg

-
Back