do you tip at resturants?

-
I tip according to SERVICE,ATTITUDE,ETC! If the service sucks and theattitude is crappy then so is the TIP! On the other hand if all is good then the TIP is also. I also tip others that help with the service,sometimes when waiters or waitresses are swamped some others will assist in refilling tea,bringing food etc so I make sure they get a little something also. I make it a point to thank them and put it right in there hand to make sure they get the tip.

Went to dinner the other night for my b-day, had a good authentic German meal.
When we left the waiter came out to the parking lot and cussed us out for not leaving enough of a tip. What a jerk.The guy didn't deserve any tip at all from the service he gave Since when are the customers responsible for paying an employees wages? Just another way for the owner to make more money.
I say let the employer pay his employees. I haven't seen any restaurant owners living in the gettos lately.
Bruce.

Just because your cheep doesn’t justify the server chasing you out into the parking lot. I would fire him if he was my employee.
On the topic of "Since when are the customers responsible for paying the employee's wages" Are you kidding me? If the server was a10.00 an hour employee your "authentic German meal" (hotdogs and sauerkraut) would have been 15.00 instead of the 5.95 you paid.

Right on Bryce. I always pay in cash for meals and always tip in cash. If a waiter or waitress doesn't get a good tip it would seem to me the light should come on and they should try to think about what they can improve on so as to improve on their skills and tips. There are career people then there are those that have the oh well attiude then want compensated for it. My moto for my company is.
" If it's exactly perfect, don't spend a lot of time on it"

Bad Service = 10%
Sub Par Service = 15%
Good Service = 20%
Excellent/Incredible Service = 25%

Went out to Chili's last night and my drink was always full, that means a lot to me, lol! She got 22%.

Just me8)

A bad waiter will know if he or she has lost her smile.
I will make a nice coment on there jobs and then though in
my advice with a smile, If they don't take my advice ,I asked to be seated ells where.
This has happened to me one time, She needed a good hand cleaning too.
99% of the time I ejoy my waitresses and waiters.
Then I would follow ramchargers chart :-D

Bad Service = 10%
Sub Par Service = 15%
Good Service = 20%
Excellent/Incredible Service = 25%

I even leave tips at hotels

Wow!!:-D That just reminded when I worked at Park place inn for security and maintenance and installed a new shower head for a nice sweet lady and got my first tip there.
I never thought of tipping while in a hotel.
Just keep a audio recorder going close to my belongings :-D

So Mike are you going to play us a tape of the tip? Tell us when the screaming starts so we can plug our ears. That reminds me. Until i was much older i thought my name was God cause the girls would always holler "Oh God, Oh God".

When you take a job serving the public in a restaurant you go in knowing you may or may not get a tip.
BW

From HemiMark who seems to know where I ate.
Are you kidding me? If the server was a10.00 an hour employee your "authentic German meal" (hotdogs and sauerkraut) would have been 15.00 instead of the 5.95 you paid.

Just to clarify our bill was $78, not hot dogs and kraut, we left 15% and he was lucky to get that. Just makes me wonder how the owners get away with such low wages, if a waiter/waitress gets a tip they deserve it. They are on their feet for the entire shift and have to put up with obnoxious people, they should get a high wage and tips.
Bruce

I have to agree with alot of seen here I tip according to how they act. I've tipped up to 50% depending on the meal and how courteous the server for me it's a balance theres being there every time I have a drink empty or even to ask about how it is tasting and then theres being there way to much. I like when the server walks by their tables just to check on your even without asking.

I had a server once I was with my fiance and she treated me like I was some stupid little teenage pervert so when I left I gave her a penny as a tip this is generally how we show our disapproval to servers where I live.

I tip based on service and time. If I sit for more then the normal time, I'll tip bigger. (I go to alot of coffee shops)

I have no problem tipping -0- if the server sucks.

1st of all, you should all be Jealous that he actually ate "Authentic German Food" !!!!! IT's YUMMY ! I eat it often cause, I grew up with it. And can cook it too !
Now, considering your going to a "German" restaurant u would expect to tip a bit better, Just cause it's a so called Theme restaurant. Say 20 %.
That said, if I ever went to ANY restaurant and the waiter SAID, I didnt tip enough AND ran out to the parking lot. I'D NEVER go back until the owner /chef, whatever made it up to me.

Just My .02

The above line will get you the bare bones minimum from me. I am not the welfare man. like any service business, earn your money the old fashioned way: work hard for it. I did.

I generally use 15-20%. It does seem regional though, in Australia it's not _that_ common to tip unless it's great service. In the US it is expected for the reasons given. I know when I was in Canada a few years back a number of tables would leave only a few dollars as a tip, and I was leaving the standard 15-20% and it seemed to shock a few servers...

I've read in parts of Europe the tip is added to the bill (basically the servers base wage), AND another tip is expected...

Dean.

5f the service sucks I will leave a penny, if it is great service i will usually leave a $20.00 tip or better just because I have a soft spot for young people who try hard to do a good job.

Check this out.

Back when hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast, I went down to Bay St.Louis Mississippi to mud out flooded homes for a week with our disaster team.

The town was in shambles and only a select few businesses were operating.

There was an Italian smorgasboard type restaurant open and you can tell the owner went to great lenghths to get things fixed up enough to serve the public as he was the only guy in the whole complex that was open.

Needless to say, the place was packed with government workers, non government workers, disaster relief groups and pretty much any hungry local family this night.

I had $450 bucks in my wallet which I took just in case, but everything was provided for us workers and we really did not need any money unless we ate out.

Pretty much all ther employees working there had either lost their homes totally or they were damaged to the point that they had to live elsewhere , such was the case of our young waitress who said she was 17 y/o.

This girl was running her tail off to make sure everyone was happy, and she did it with the biggest smile on her face.

She was so sweet that our table just had to strike up conversation with her, and we found out that her home was a total loss as it was swept down the road in pieces, and she was living with her uncle.

We could not believe she could seem so happy with what had happened to her home and town for that matter.

I made the decision to empty my wallet for this girl's tip, and everyone else at my table followed suit.

We came up with a total of $4500.00 from our whole crew that night.

I called the manager over and told him to make sure that she got half of the money as soon as we left because we knew she would not accept it, and that the rest is for his restaurant.

he assured us that his insureance was up to snuff and that he was going to give it all to her.

Well just as we pulled off in the car we saw him take her to the side and say something to her, and she put her head in her hands and started laughing and crying at the same time.

Gosh I love moments like that.

I had a server once I was with my fiance and she treated me like I was some stupid little teenage pervert so when I left I gave her a penny as a tip this is generally how we show our disapproval to servers where I live.

My Dad got hacked off at a waitress who was lousy and ignoring him. Even when she walked by and he called for her she ignored him. He left her a penny tip. On his way out the door she threw it at him and hit him in the back of the head. He said he just kept walking like it never happened laughing. He was kinda ornery like that.:-D

5f the service sucks I will leave a penny, if it is great service i will usually leave a $20.00 tip or better just because I have a soft spot for young people who try hard to do a good job.

Check this out.

Back when hurricane Katrina hit the gulf coast, I went down to Bay St.Louis Mississippi to mud out flooded homes for a week with our disaster team.

The town was in shambles and only a select few businesses were operating.

There was an Italian smorgasboard type restaurant open and you can tell the owner went to great lenghths to get things fixed up enough to serve the public as he was the only guy in the whole complex that was open.

Needless to say, the place was packed with government workers, non government workers, disaster relief groups and pretty much any hungry local family this night.

I had $450 bucks in my wallet which I took just in case, but everything was provided for us workers and we really did not need any money unless we ate out.

Pretty much all ther employees working there had either lost their homes totally or they were damaged to the point that they had to live elsewhere , such was the case of our young waitress who said she was 17 y/o.

This girl was running her tail off to make sure everyone was happy, and she did it with the biggest smile on her face.

She was so sweet that our table just had to strike up conversation with her, and we found out that her home was a total loss as it was swept down the road in pieces, and she was living with her uncle.

We could not believe she could seem so happy with what had happened to her home and town for that matter.

I made the decision to empty my wallet for this girl's tip, and everyone else at my table followed suit.

We came up with a total of $4500.00 from our whole crew that night.

I called the manager over and told him to make sure that she got half of the money as soon as we left because we knew she would not accept it, and that the rest is for his restaurant.

he assured us that his insureance was up to snuff and that he was going to give it all to her.

Well just as we pulled off in the car we saw him take her to the side and say something to her, and she put her head in her hands and started laughing and crying at the same time.

Gosh I love moments like that.

Me too...Thank you cudaspaz and your crew for doing that

Well done!

Wow. Great job Cudaspaz and a great story.

Speedyb,

If I got crappy service and tipped 15%, then the guy ran out after me, it would have been a very bad scene starting with me getting my daughter in the car so she wouldn't have to see/hear what happened next.

first off most places pay their servers lower then min wage+ tips.. thats how they make a living.. i usually tip 20% min. in a big group we tip more then that.

that being said. if the service truley sucks then i cut that big time.

Things must be a bit different in Canada, as far as I know we have minimum wage and like it or not everyone earns at least that, in BC that's about $8.50/hr but most everyone makes more. Also 15% is the industry standard, if you book a luncheon for a large group they add the 15% right onto your bill, nobody will chase you to your car because you only left 15%. The size of the bill makes a difference too, 30% on a $20 bill is fine but 30% on a $150 bill seems a bit high unless your Bill Gates. Cudaspaz doing something really nice in an extraordinary circumstance is an exception to all the rules and must have been worth every penny.

My Dad got hacked off at a waitress who was lousy and ignoring him. Even when she walked by and he called for her she ignored him. He left her a penny tip. On his way out the door she threw it at him and hit him in the back of the head. He said he just kept walking like it never happened laughing. He was kinda ornery like that.:-D

It'll be even funnier when the penny is extinct. I can't wait I have a ton of pennies at home and servers will love getting worthless money.

-
Back