Dodge 318

-
I have 2 slants, one an auto and the other a manual. I have several V8's as well. I did a 5.9L swap into my 72 Charger. IMO I would keep the slant 6. Everybody has a V8 these days, how many people still have the slant 6. The slant is a fast peppy motor when it's running right. My slants will go head to head with any V8 all day long.
Just my $0.02
I get it, have been looking into this same idea myself. To not follow the crowd, keep a numbers matching drive train is very appealing. Then I talk to the machine shops and they say I am spending a lot of money for something that I won't get much out of and in the long run won't be happy with. So far I have found two 318's locally. One is the 318 that I started this thread about. I know it's gonna need some work, I just don't know how much yet, but asking price is only $400. The other 318 is in the car of a wife of someone I know. He want's to upgrade her to a 360 and has no use for the 318. The block was rebuilt previously, has a mild cam, new intake, carb, and comes with headers. He is asking $1500. I would rather go with this one, but I have heard 3 times since last summer "I'm gonna start that swap next week" and he still hasn't started yet.

So I respect what you say, and I really have been diving into this by studying the /6 and what it takes to rebuild one. However, in the end, I'm always going to wish I had that V8 rumble.

I get it, have been looking into this same idea myself. To not follow the crowd, keep a numbers matching drive train is very appealing. Then I talk to the machine shops and they say I am spending a lot of money for something that I won't get much out of and in the long run won't be happy with. So far I have found two 318's locally. One is the 318 that I started this thread about. I know it's gonna need some work, I just don't know how much yet, but asking price is only $400. The other 318 is in the car of a wife of someone I know. He want's to upgrade her to a 360 and has no use for the 318. The block was rebuilt previously, has a mild cam, new intake, carb, and comes with headers. He is asking $1500. I would rather go with this one, but I have heard 3 times since last summer "I'm gonna start that swap next week" and he still hasn't started yet.

So I respect what you say, and I really have been diving into this by studying the /6 and what it takes to rebuild one. However, in the end, I'm always going to wish I had that V8 rumble.
Your buddy's Teen with the goodies for $1500 is not a bad buy. Many people here suggest a Magnum swap. I have never done one but it sure sounds like a good idea. Used ones don't need much and apparently just a few special pieces to make them work with your current transmission. (a special flax plate for the converter for the balance) There may be other mods needed but it's nothing that hasn't been covered before. A roller cam engine is a plus now days for power, economy, and ease of service.

i'd jump 15 for that zipped up 318, that's a good little deal.

offer him 1000 and tell him you'll help him pull it and give him $500 in cash right on the spot, that should get the ball rolling.

-
Back