Dodge Avenger Q's

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
Looking at a possible purchase of a Dodge Avenger, probably in the 2008-2010 range. What can you tell me about potential trouble spots, good engine vs the bad engine, etc.
Thanks,
C

No one has (or had) an Avenger?
C

I dont have personal experience but I recall that they're prone to electrical and transmission problems...like many of the Chryslerbishi products.

Honestly, unless youre really in love with the design or found a great deal, there are probably better places to drop your hard earned cash.

What are your goals? Just a FWD sporty coupe?

If you go for one, get the AWD version. They seem to perform better.

He's referring to the first generation of the current sedan. The coupe died in 2000.

The 2011+ are much better cars. Better suspension, better engines and MUCH NICER INTERIORS. Plus, they have so many rebates and deals right now you can probably get one cheaper new than used.

My aunt has a 2009 200 (same car, different badge) and hasn't had any trouble, but driving that thing is punishment.

2008 Avenger SXT I bought the car in 2008 with 6,000 miles on it. It is now about 70,000 miles and still going strong. I do proper maintenances on it and the car has had very little problems. This is the 4 cylinder/auto car and it consistantly gets 35 miles to the gallon and drives quite well. Its not a power house. If you want the power then get the V6 R/T version as it is pretty peppy little car. The down side to 2008 - 2010 is the interior is all hard plastics and kinda cheap looking, but it holds up very well. The newer Avengers interiors are way more cozy and comfortable. Working at a Dodge dealer I can tell you the Avenger is prob one of the cars with the least amount of issues. Like every car built there are things that have popped up here and there on them, but nothing that sticks out as a general problem. Good car, easy to drive, handles real well, and comfortable for 4+ people. Lots of safety features on the SXT model including side door air bags and front air bags. I would highly recommend checking them out and test driving them to see how it fits you. From a scale stand point 10 being GREAT and 1 being CRAP I would dfinately give mine a 9 and from what I have seen at the dealership a good solid 8.

-RPM

2010 Avenger R/T

I've heard some bad stuff about the 2.2L 4cyl, so I'd avoid that. However, my 3.5L V6 had to have the valvetrain replaced at 35K due to excessive noise. They wouldn't elaborate on what exactly they replaced, just said valvetrain. Also, whenever it got cold, the steering column would make noise. According to the dealership, it was a seal at the bottom of the shaft the needed lubrication. Either way, both items were fixed with nothing out of my pocket and without me having to do it.

Attachments

• Avenger DS 1.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Avenger PS 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 152
Thanks guys. Just looking for a decent driver for the better half...
C

Just a follow up post. I did go to a GSA auction and purchased a 2008 Avenger, with 35,000 miles, 2.7L V6. Seems to have several options I think. Power seat, side curtain air bags, air bags in the front seats, a freaking can cooler in the dash??? Rear disc brakes and some type of mesh fabric seat covers. I've drove it about 100 miles last week and thought it drove and handled pretty good.
I think I got a fair deal on it, not spectacular, but a fair deal.
C

Purchased mine after leasing it for 3 years, very attractive buyout, and lifetime powertrain warranty. 4 cyl, SXT, needed dependable transportation for daughters for their first cars when they moved away to distant cities after graduation - did not have to worry about breakdowns. Pushing 50K miles now and have just done routine maintenance. Agree with previous comments about the plastic interior in the '08, and distinct lack of power - but got 33 mpg, loaded to the gills moving one of my daughters to Florida over 1,300 miles!

-
Back