[WANTED] Dodge B250 Ignition Condenser

-

wsbuchanan27

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I would like to replace my ignition condenser capacitor thing that is bolted under my ignition coil. I cannot find one. Are there equivalents? Any help would be killer. Thanks.

40E460AF-7E6A-40C9-9FDA-222B6ADD8182.jpeg

D9F98882-AE03-4D8B-87FF-379E4702DE98.jpeg

Those are not critical. NAPA has generic ones. If you are not fussy about "restoration correct" you could use one out of a distributor. Better would be to gut that can, and use an electronics plastic film one. Value not critical, .02--.2 microfarad and I would use at least 200v

Those are not critical. NAPA has generic ones. If you are not fussy about "restoration correct" you could use one out of a distributor. Better would be to gut that can, and use an electronics plastic film one. Value not critical, .02--.2 microfarad and I would use at least 200v
I appreciate the response. I’m not fussy and I’m not real versed on what is critical. I just try and put a new piece back of whatever I take off.

RRR is correct, that is a noise suppressor. It's really not needed with plug wires today, they have built in noise suppression.

RRR is correct, that is a noise suppressor. It's really not needed with plug wires today, they have built in noise suppression.
Not quite true. The plug wires radiate like antennas, and the coil circuit induces noise directly into the 12V wiring. Secondary interference is different, then, than primary interference. That condenser is used to help that. But it also does something else. It actually provides a low impedance path to ground for the coil primary pulse, and in some cases MAY help spark performance.

In these old girls, the biggest sources of interference were

Secondary spark (plug wires)

Primary interference (coil primary circuit)

Alternator whine (there is a cap in the alternator)

Instrument limiter, or IVR (it has a cap as it constantly switches on / off and can "pop" in the radio

And, the radio itself had a filter on/ in the radio to try and suppress the last of the noise. Even the wiper and heater blower motors can cause noise, and so can the signal flasher.

-
Back