Dodge D100 project "Grim Sleeper"

-
Well I could always use my 400? .030 over, kb pistons, .525 lift cam (solid flat tap), double valve springs, ARP rod/main bolts etc. It'll turn 6000+ all day, its gotta be makin at least 400hp?

All you will need is a truck oil pan with sump ,truck mounts ,and truck manifolds/headers...

nice.....I like it ...you need a build thread ...there are a few guys building trucks here...Macho781988, and dartt are a few guys that come to mind ...there is probably more.

great score on a cool truck
Yep, I'm here with my '74.

Well I could always use my 400? .030 over, kb pistons, .525 lift cam (solid flat tap), double valve springs, ARP rod/main bolts etc. It'll turn 6000+ all day, its gotta be makin at least 400hp?
I'd go with the 400 unless you wanna stick small block really badly. My main question would be is are you gonna go with a bed on it? My plan so far has been to cut my bed floor out and replace it with a sheet of aluminum to lose weigh. you can also wrangle you up some 'glass fenders and a hood like I wanna do. If you have any questions about your truck, please feel free to ask. alot of us on here own one surprisingly

Maybe that's what i'll do. It'll save me a lot of money in the long run...well maybe not gas wise!! lol but I'll tear it down and freshen it up, port the heads alittle (452) maybe throw on some manifolds and dual plane intake to keep the sleeper look and go from there. I have another 400 shortblock that I want to stroke for my puller so this will give me a reason to do it. I did make a few pulls with nitrous but motor should still be ok.

Yep, I'm here with my '74.

I'd go with the 400 unless you wanna stick small block really badly. My main question would be is are you gonna go with a bed on it? My plan so far has been to cut my bed floor out and replace it with a sheet of aluminum to lose weigh. you can also wrangle you up some 'glass fenders and a hood like I wanna do. If you have any questions about your truck, please feel free to ask. alot of us on here own one surprisingly

definitely will do! my buddy's dad got a set of fenders made outta fiberglass but I have nooo idea where. If you know where to buy any please lemme know, every bit helps.

definitely will do! my buddy's dad got a set of fenders made outta fiberglass but I have nooo idea where. If you know where to buy any please lemme know, every bit helps.
I dunno where to get the fiberglass fenders right now. I know usbody makes hoods, but I haven't heard much good about them so I am trying to hunt down a better source. ask your buddy's dad if you could, that'd help me and MoparDaddy out big time

Try up22.com ,Used to be a place,out of Florida(VFN?). The freight,gonna kill you.

I dunno where to get the fiberglass fenders right now. I know usbody makes hoods, but I haven't heard much good about them so I am trying to hunt down a better source. ask your buddy's dad if you could, that'd help me and MoparDaddy out big time

I'll try to get ahold of him, he still has them but only problem is there cut for a tilt hood??

(877) 735-7772,Up.22 products. Maybe,you guys can do a group buy in.....

I have the front end off of my '72 at the moment. The fenders aren't very heavy. The hood would be worth doing.

I don't know that I'd shave weight from the bed. That will hurt traction. If I had the intention to make the front of the truck lighter, I'd put the battery by the right at the rear of the bed, build an aluminum radiator support, use a glass hood and retrofit some plastic splash shields for the wheels or just leave them out, find a fiberglass bumper and paint it with some aluminum brackets. Maybe put an aluminum floor in the truck cab, remove any metal that isn't being used, remove the original wiring, go bare minimum and swiss cheese the door frames.

The benefit to a small block would be weight saving. If you wanted to get super crazy, you could find a crappy aluminum topper and put the engine in the front of the bed...

You could also ditch the engine crossmember and go tubular, or subframe it with a Fat Man front end and use the different coils that it comes with.

I don't know how much you want to fabricate, though.

That 400 sounds nice with a stick shift. That will get you into the speed you're going for with some 4.10's, without hurting anything.

When you start stripping things from this truck, anything at all, you should weigh it on a scale for a total weight loss measurement. I'd be very interested to see how much you can take off.

I have the front end off of my '72 at the moment. The fenders aren't very heavy. The hood would be worth doing.

I don't know that I'd shave weight from the bed. That will hurt traction. If I had the intention to make the front of the truck lighter, I'd put the battery by the right at the rear of the bed, build an aluminum radiator support, use a glass hood and retrofit some plastic splash shields for the wheels or just leave them out, find a fiberglass bumper and paint it with some aluminum brackets. Maybe put an aluminum floor in the truck cab, remove any metal that isn't being used, remove the original wiring, go bare minimum and swiss cheese the door frames.

The benefit to a small block would be weight saving. If you wanted to get super crazy, you could find a crappy aluminum topper and put the engine in the front of the bed...

You could also ditch the engine crossmember and go tubular, or subframe it with a Fat Man front end and use the different coils that it comes with.

I don't know how much you want to fabricate, though.

That 400 sounds nice with a stick shift. That will get you into the speed you're going for with some 4.10's, without hurting anything.

When you start stripping things from this truck, anything at all, you should weigh it on a scale for a total weight loss measurement. I'd be very interested to see how much you can take off.

Lotta great ideas!! i'm gunna try a few

I have a few trucks myself, a 1979 dodge 1/2 ton and a 1986 dodge 1/2 ton. whats with that gas tank? something someone rigged up by the looks of it, all the filler pipes should come out of the side of the tank not the rear

Well guys haven't really got any updates as of yet but did look er over pretty well. I believe I'm going to strip it down to the frame and replace most of the rear suspension parts. The hangers weren't the greatest and the bushings looked shot, but if I'm going to be running it on the street I'd rather have new equipment. I'll be Carlisle bound Saturday morning for Chrysler nationals!!! So hopefully I can find some bargains.

Well scorred some parts today! I bought a set of "516" heads, BB motor mounts, and a mopar performance dual plane intake. Kinda second guessin the heads though cuz i've heard mixed opionions on them.

Weaker exhaust port,to 906/452 castings. You could stuff a split pattern cam in it(the Crane 112 lobe center grinds work here!),or port/bigger valve on the exhaust port.

Well the heads i have now are just stock 452s. So i figured these would be nicer because of the closed chamber? Maybe do a gasket match and bigger valves?

What cam,you have? Forgot you had K.B.s. Need some specs. Cam grind number,or specs. Let's start there. Big + ,on the short block.

Cam: Lunati
Ext. Lift: .525
Int. Lift: .525
Ext. Dur. at .50: 235
Int. Dur. at .50: 235
Ext. Adv. Dur: 264
Int. Adv. Dur: 264
Lobe sep: 110

-
Back