Dodge Demon Headlight switch removal

-

Cubzy

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone let me know how to remove headlight switch on 72 dodge demon. Switch is acting up. I'd like to try and clean terminals and use deep contact cleaner on it. Can this be done with it in car? From what I understand these switches are readily available so I may just install new one. I would appreciate step by step. Does gauge cluster have to be partially removed? Looks like four screws holding it in from the front. The resister in switch is finicky. Also dome light not working. May be related. Thought I'd replace switch first.

Thanks in advance..

should just reach up behind dash and push in small spring loaded button on back of the switch while pulling on the headlamp knob until knob comes straight out then undue small nut around the shaft of the switch from the outside of switch then it will come straight out the back then just un-plug it, pretty easy really.

should just reach up behind dash and push in small spring loaded button on back of the switch while pulling on the headlamp knob until knob comes straight out then undue small nut around the shaft of the switch from the outside of switch then it will come straight out the back then just un-plug it, pretty easy really.
Totally agree, but the spring loaded button could be on the bottom pointing to the floor.

To remove the one screw attaching the fuse box and move that box a tad makes it much easier to find and push the stem release button. And don't push the button to reinstall the stem. That can wreck the latch. The stems tapered point will guide it past the latch.
Contact cleaner? That depends on what fault. This switch has thermal protection built in. If the headlights suddenly go off then go on again, replace the switch.

No headlight lever. Knob and stem for this switch are formed together, cannot be separated, because its a pull switch. Otherwise we would pull the knob off in repeated use.

Thank You for the replies. I will purchase the switch then attempt as below instructions. The nut fastening it into the dash. Can it be removed with needle nose pliers? It calls for a special tool?
1.Move fuse panel out of way by removing one screw.
2.Push button on bottom of switch which releases pull lever to seperate from switch body out the front.
3.Remove nut with tool holding switch into dash.
4.Remove switch out from behind dash by lowering it.
5.Disconnect wire harness.
Switch doesn't start to light up dash lights until about 50% position and then when it does provide power from 50 to 100% there is a bunch of dead spots in switch where dash lights go out. Park and tail lights work fine. Just more so in the rheostat. How does the dome light work? When I purchased the car the bulb was removed. What type of bulb does this take and does anyone have a wiring diagram. I would like to understand how the power is supplied and runs through the light door bulb, door plunger switches and headlight switch and back to ground.
Thanks again. A little long winded but trying to get through all the little faults in the car.

The switch body has a locating tang ( square block ) that keeps it from turning in the dash. There is a little wiggle room in the dash female square opening so sometimes... Just counterclockwise pressure against the bezel nut while reaching under and working the switch back and forth in that wiggle room will loosen the nut. Most will use needle nose, snap ring plier, something other the special bezel nut tool to geter done.
and yes you just might cure the dimmer rheostat with contact spray. Whole new switch is about 14 USD.
The dome lamp socket is hot at all times. The door jamb switches and headlight switch provide the ground. There were 2 different dome lamp fixtures. One has a typical push and turn bulb base while the other has a linear bulb between 2 contacts. I don't have either bulb number.

Last edited:
Easiest way to remove the nut that holds the switch in is to use a big Phillips screw driver. Once you get the knob/shaft out you'll see exactly what I mean

Easiest way to remove the nut that holds the switch in is to use a big Phillips screw driver. Once you get the knob/shaft out you'll see exactly what I mean
That could be exactly right for this bezel nut ( since the stem is removed from the center ). My memory just sux in many cases. Thanks

That could be exactly right for this bezel nut ( since the stem is removed from the center ). My memory just sux in many cases. Thanks
Yea the wiper switch nut is a different story. That would work better with a needle nose or a snap ring pliers

Update. I replaced headlight switch today. I followed instructions as per above. Only difference from above is that the push button lever release is on the side and not the bottom. Super easy and no special tools required. Used large Philips screwdriver to take switch nut out of dash. Switch works great. Easy repair for less than $30. Thanks to all that helped.

-
Back