Dodge Lancer Voltage regulator

-

Wayne Miller

1962 Dodge Lancer Wagon
Reaction score
I have a 62 Dodge Lancer with a Slant six. the Voltage regulator is a VR101. Is there a direct replacement Solid State Voltage Reg. If so what is the part number and the supplier?
Thanks

Is there a reason you need solid state?

I googled "67 dart solid state voltage regulator" several came up.

Last edited:
Pretty much anything designed for a single field alternator will work. On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with a good quality points regulator.

I swapped in the "Look-a-Like" solid state regulator on my '69 Satellite.

Worked Perfectly

Screenshot_20240625-180933_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

MOST modern replacements for the 69 and earlier regulators ARE solid state, HOW DO YOU tell? Easy. If it is about 1/2 as tall it is solid state. If it is full height, turn it upside down and look at the bottom. The original electro-mechanical ones had 1 or 2 wirewound resistors on the bottm. The solid state ones have no such.

Top photo, bottom of a points/ electro mech OEM style

MoparVR.jpg

Below, example of a "look alike" replacement. No resistors
Moparss.jpg

Last edited:
The question, tho is how stock do you want it, and how old and beat is your OEM alternator? If it is coming maybe close to have lived it's days, consider getting an alternator for about a 74 Dart, which is the more modern "squareback" and has two field terminals. Buy the regulator for the same year, and you only have to add one more wire to wire it up as a 70/ later setup. You will need the connector / pigtail to fit the VR.

Yes, the generic Chinese lookalike regulators can work well, if you get (and stay) lucky. And they're a lot less expensive than something higher-end like a Standard VR128.

Quality and reliability matter not much when you're sitting at your desk scrolling through voltage regulator options. They matter a lot more when you're dead by the side of the road wishing you'd bought a better one.

Consider also that the early cars are much more prone to much worse damage from an electrical malfunction; they have no main line protection and scanty protection for individual circuits. A faulty horn caused the whole engine harness to go up in smoke in my '62 Lancer—my father's, at the time—right before my eyes, in less than three seconds. The '61 cars had even less circuit protection. This can be greatly improved without too much effort.

If you're going with the cheap generic regulator, buy at least two and put the spare(s) in the car somewhere, along with the tools necessary to change out a regulator.

Last edited:
-
Back