Dodge leaving nascar again!

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
Rumor has it, that Dodge will be leaving Nascar.
There is supposed to be an anouncement today.
Well, that will free up Sunday afternoons for me.

they announced that at the beginning of the year. penske is going to ford. even with all that they still released a 2013 charger for the cup series next year. it was all for not. oh well, maybe in a couple years

Attachments

• 2013.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 663
maybe they are going to sponsor more Drag Racers....

Drag racing is a drop in the bucket to a manufacture. I can see more sponsorship money going there.
I had a feeling this was going to happen, since they didn't have an engine program.
Dodge would be better off just sponsoring a Nascar race & supplying support vehicles.
It never seem like Dodge was committed fully to Nascar.
I guess this will clear the path for Honda & KIA to go racin. LOL

It never seem like Dodge was committed fully to Nascar.
I guess this will clear the path for Honda & KIA to go racin. LOL

it was that way when the intrepids made it on the track. Dodge never seemed to dive in feet first. i would not be suprised to see another import make their way into nascar.

my all time favorite driver next to Petty...

sterling marlin

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 653
I will go out on a limb here, if Nascar brings in more import manufactures, it will kill off Nascar as we know it.
They are scrambling now, when was the last time that you have seen the stands full?
It doesn't make sense to race something that doesn't reflect what you are selling.
My way to bring life back to Nascar;
Stock bodies on a race chassis.
Use the oem engine block & heads from the manufacture, all the domestics have modern V-8's.
Only allow a true RWD car in the series, just like they sell.
Move the FWD V-6 cars to Nationwide, same formula.
Left out the imports, if they want to run, better design something that you can sell in the showroom.

it was that way when the intrepids made it on the track. Dodge never seemed to dive in feet first. i would not be suprised to see another import make their way into nascar.

my all time favorite driver next to Petty...

sterling marlin
Same here, Me with Sterling in the early 2000's when he was smokin hot!!!

Attachments

• lastscan.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 637
DETROIT (AP) -- Facing a defection by its main partner in racing, Dodge has decided to pull out of its NASCAR sponsorship at the end of this season, a person briefed on the matter said Tuesday.

Chrysler, which owns the Dodge brand, scheduled a conference call for Tuesday afternoon to announce the decision. The company says the call will be led by Ralph Gilles, Chrysler Group LLC's president and CEO of Street and Racing Technology.

The person briefed on the decision did not know why the company is pulling out of NASCAR and spoke on condition of anonymity because the company hasn't made any announcements yet.

Dodge's long-term future in NASCAR had been subject to speculation after its flagship team, Penske Racing, announced it was moving to Ford next season.

ESPN reported on the Dodge pullout earlier Tuesday.

Among the four manufacturers in the top racing series, Dodge ranks last, though it does have three wins in the first 21 Sprint Cup races, one more than Ford. Chevrolet is in first, followed by Toyota and Ford.

Dodge returned to NASCAR competition in 2001 after a 23-year absence from the stock car series and currently fields just two teams, both for Penske, the No. 2 driven by Brad Keselowski and the No. 22 currently being driven by Sam Hornish Jr.

Penske announced in February that it would switch to Fords for the 2013 season, leaving Dodge in the lurch.

The move by Dodge comes just a week after NASCAR announced that it had approved the new Sprint Cup Series race car designs for next season for all four automakers running the series. The new Dodge Charger, Chevrolet SS, Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry designs met the necessary targets for approval based on final aerodynamic tests last month. The cars will make their racing debut at Daytona International Speedway next February.

Dodge's efforts for 2013 were regarded as a positive sign for its continued involvement in the sport.

But things have fallen apart since that day in early March when hundreds of fans leaned in to get a glimpse when Dodge lifted the cover off its 2013 Sprint Cup car at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Cheers rang out and camera shutters clicked as various luminaries took turns posing in front of the shiny red car. Dodge had been working on the car for two years and was caught off-guard by the Penske announcement, which sent the manufacturer scrambling to find a major team to drive a car it spent so much time creating.

Gilles said at the time he wasn't too concerned. "It was unexpected, but we're ready for it," he told The Associated Press. "We've been knocked down a few times our history and we've come back."

Penske Racing has been with Dodge since 2003, winning 29 races in Sprint Cup along with Keselowski's 2010 Nationwide championship.

Robby Gordon is the only other driver competing with Dodge, and he's only entered three races this season, so the company was hard-pressed to find a replacement team.

Dodge had a deep stable of teams and drivers until the economic downturn left it with Penske as its only major team since 2009. The automaker has stabilized financially since parent company Chrysler was taken over by Fiat three years ago and had been working on new strategies for its NASCAR program.

Gilles didn't provide many details on why Penske left, but said Dodge wasn't willing to agree to a five-year commitment because the company wanted to stay flexible.

© 2012 The Associated Press

Same here, Me with Sterling in the early 2000's when he was smokin hot!!!

man that is awesome! that man could drive.dodges comeback was the only reason i would turn a race on. i have been a die hard dodge fan regardless of who is driving them. its just too bad that its back to square one.:banghead:

Attachments

• intr.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,444
  • intr1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 620
  • intr2.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 618
This is just my thought ,, it looks like Fiat will be doing away with Chrysler and everything related ASAP.

I will go out on a limb here, if Nascar brings in more import manufactures, it will kill off Nascar as we know it.
They are scrambling now, when was the last time that you have seen the stands full?
It doesn't make sense to race something that doesn't reflect what you are selling.
My way to bring life back to Nascar;
Stock bodies on a race chassis.
Use the oem engine block & heads from the manufacture, all the domestics have modern V-8's.
Only allow a true RWD car in the series, just like they sell.
Move the FWD V-6 cars to Nationwide, same formula.
Left out the imports, if they want to run, better design something that you can sell in the showroom.

I've had a similar thought since the 90's.

I really miss the cars that were actually street ("stock") cars, with a few race mods, rather than 100% generic custom engineered race only parts assemblies.

I've had a similar thought since the 90's.

I really miss the cars that were actually street ("stock") cars, with a few race mods, rather than 100% generic custom engineered race only parts assemblies.

same here, i really miss the true showroom stock cars that were just that. only what was available in that car out of the factory. throw in a cage , a 426 race prepped hemi and some springs and tear it up.

Once you understand the fact that nascrap is and always will be a GM/chevy show... you'll be better off finding something else to do.

They are NOT Dodge or Chrysler anymore...they are FIAT. European. And Nascar is viewed as a POS sport by Europeans for the most part. Not to mention, there is no more Dodge Truck. It is now called "Ram." The new Viper is called "The Viper by SRT." The Challenger -replacement 'Cuda will be a Chrysler. Get the drift? D-O-D-G-E will be DOA shortly, so why continue sponsoring what is veiwed as a crap sport by a soon-to-be-dead brand? That is the logic behind all this.

This is just my thought ,, it looks like Fiat will be doing away with Chrysler and everything related ASAP.

Could be they are being financially smart, something the last couple of rapists havn't been.
I do agree that the product is being water downed a little.
The only things I see left of the old Chrysler are HEMI engines, Pentastar engines, & Ram trucks.
This is what happens in a world economy, you do what you have to do too survive.

Rumor has it Dodge will follow the path Plymouth took into history book. Already removed name from the truck line its now just Ram. Fiat going to cram crap like the new dart down our throat. Fuel mileage is the name of the game and second gen muscle cars will soon be dead.

regardless of the chevy / ford show, which it is, it was still nice to see the charger name still competing and brad winning races. the charger name is the only reason i still turn it on. if its gone next year , so what, it wouldnt be the first time, maybe i will get more work done on my charger.

They are NOT Dodge or Chrysler anymore...they are FIAT. European. And Nascar is viewed as a POS sport by Europeans for the most part. Not to mention, there is no more Dodge Truck. It is now called "Ram." The new Viper is called "The Viper by SRT." The Challenger -replacement 'Cuda will be a Chrysler. Get the drift? D-O-D-G-E will be DOA shortly, so why continue sponsoring what is veiwed as a crap sport by a soon-to-be-dead brand? That is the logic behind all this.

Nascar is a crap sport.
No manufacture has an edge in horsepower, it's all in the chassis.
All I see in Nascar is 3 major players for a field of 43 cars. Thats crap!
The major players have the money to fund their R&D and the rest buy the crap they don't want.
Do you really think lower tier team is going to get the same engine or chassis that jimmy johnson is running? I don't think so.

I think it's a bad move for dodge and nascar, Dodge will lose sales because of it,and nascar will lose a big fan base, If nascar would help dodge like they did shityota then they might could stay nascar helped yota with there engine which i don't think was fair,And Penske i don't know what he's thinking going with roush engines they have been under powered all season, Carls engine seems to blow everyweek, And he's only won one championship in nationwide In A DODGE, I still hope brad can win the championship this year as i won't be pulling for nobody next year with no dodges out there,

I think it's a bad move for dodge and nascar, Dodge will lose sales because of it,and nascar will lose a big fan base, If nascar would help dodge like they did shityota then they might could stay nascar helped yota with there engine which i don't think was fair,And Penske i don't know what he's thinking going with roush engines they have been under powered all season, Carls engine seems to blow everyweek, And he's only won one championship in nationwide In A DODGE, I still hope brad can win the championship this year as i won't be pulling for nobody next year with no dodges out there,

Win on Sunday & sell on Monday hasn't worked in a long time.
Sales won't suffer, I would bet that less than 1% of Charger sales come from Nascar.
Nascar muddy up the water with the assistance they gave toyota, which really exposed nascar for what it really was.
Penske wanted a five year contract, Dodge wouldn't give it to him. There is no loyalty for manufactures in nascar, period.
Money, money, money is what drives nascar, not brand loyalty.
With enough money, "OLE" Richard Petty would race Mahindra tractor. So much for values & loyalty.

I always root for the driver of the pace car...since he seems to lead the most laps..especially near the end of the race...

Could be they are being financially smart, something the last couple of rapists havn't been.
I do agree that the product is being water downed a little.
The only things I see left of the old Chrysler are HEMI engines, Pentastar engines, & Ram trucks.
This is what happens in a world economy, you do what you have to do too survive.
Apologize for wandering a bit off topic. The HEMI engine. Taking ABSOLUTELY nothing away from the 3G, as it is a great engine, but it has lost the mystique in my eyes. I say this because "back in the day" the HEMI was not an option on damn near every vehicle in the fleet. On almost every Chrysler product I see HEMI badges.

I would watch nascar if they ran the race prepped showroom models. It used to be you would watch a nascar race as kind of a commercial and at the end of it you went out and bought the winning car from your nearest dealer. I always wanted to build a nascar car but then i grew up and realized theres almost no factory parts anymore its all custom tuned or one off peices that cost thousands of dollars. Whats the point of watching a race when you can never afford to do it yourself? Atleast with drag racing there are classes that let you run factory cars all the way up to funny cars. Much more of a consumer friendly sport in my eyes. Nascar is just a bunch of rich kids playing with toys we cant afford

-
Back