Dodge Ram Oil gauge-pressure...Help

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram. My issue is at cold start i noticed when I start it it has a top end tick until the oil pressure gauge comes up. Now while driving it today the pressure dropped to 0. Then I shut it off for a few seconds and the pressure is back up to 50. Then after a few miles the pressure drops to 40 then zero again. Shut it off again for a few seconds the its OK for a few miles then drops to 40 and then zero. So do the Ram trucks with a 5.2 have oil pump issues? Or could it be a oil sending unit issue? Can the oil pan be dropped without pulling the engine? Help

My best guess.. engine full of sludge. In cases where the pickup screen is clogged it usually stays clogged. Oil collecting in the rocker covers due to clogged returns will present the symptom you have.
either or, desludge from top to bottom. Just for curiosity sake... ran it hot recently? I ask because that will melt and move the stuff that had collected in otherwise harmless areas.

no it hasn't been hot. But then again I just bought this thing.
So desludge the rocker covers? Engine has 130000 too. Can I pull the oil pan with out pulling the engine up?

Before you pull the pan , check the sender and the wiring. Does it make noise when the pressure drops off? I have the 5.2 in mine and at 170,000 it has a slight tick at start up but holds a constant 45 psi no matter what.
The sender is behind the passenger side head.
Mine is a 4x4 and I could easily take the pan off.

I have a 1999 Ram with 5.2, mine developed a rear pan seal or rear main seal leak..The pan comes off without any problems..i replaced both seals..and I replaced the oil pump while I was in there....Cleaned out the pan.......it had 152,000 on it...and I am the original owner ..oil changed every 3k miles...

but as said...the pan is easy to get off..

Drop the pan and look for sludge, seen plenty on those motors due to lack of oil changes. Clean it out and replace the pick up tube, should be good to go ... Pan is easy to remove

Last edited:
oil sending unit on your magnum is back where it's been for a long time on a small block. Near the distributer. We replaced a lot of sending units on those engines back in the day, but your repeated experiences, I'd lean towards a restricted pick up tube, but would certainly verify the oil psi with a mechanical psi gauge.

A lot of owners short cycle engines. They'll scrape the windows and make a less than 10 mile journey.
The water and oil get reasonably hot but the cast iron and sheet metal is still much cooler than the oil. It'll set up like black candle wax all over everything. To what degree varies with brand of oil and how often its changed.
To temporary a mechanical gauge on it will provide more evidence. Good luck with it.

Change the oil filter. I had exactly what you describe happen to me a few years ago. the oil filter was capsizing inside restricting the oil flow.

I have drove it another 50 miles with no issues. I think it is the sending unit. I chaged the oil yesterday full syn. Oil mobil filter and a qt of Lucus oil. Going to order a new sending unit. Thanks for the help guys.

-
Back