Dodge Vans

-

LJS30

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of vans but was wondering whether any of you guys have fixed up an old Dodge Tradesmen or some other model of Dodge van. I know vans were big at one time so perhaps a few guys still holding on to the van? Or perhaps you have a Dodge van as a parts chaser?

I have 3 A series vans, and have parted several B series vans. Hoping to do some retro cool 70s touches on 2 of my A vans.

We got one for a shop vehicle. It's like a 2000 model I think. But it's a full sized van.

I've done a number of Dodge "B" vans. Two 1976 B200's - 127" WB, a 1986 B150 - 109"WB, to name a few.

In 1976 you you could order Dodge "B" vans with any engine you wanted...
It was available with a 225 Slant 6 or a 318 at no extra charge. Also available were the 360, 400, and 440.

I bought two new 1976 Dodge B200 (3/4 ton vans). A yellow one with a 318/727/9.75, and a dark green one 440/727/9.75 sure grip.

The yellow one was a work and play van, and the Green one was a tow vehicle for the trailer, and my 69 GTX.

The mechanical mods to the 318 van included a Carter 625 AFB, with Edlebrock "Streetmaster" 318 intake, and an Eddy air cleaner. A kickdown link from a 360 van, a hotter Isky cam, can remember the numbers on it, a set of Doug's headers into "Hush Thrush mufflers, a shift kit for the 727, a set of Appliance Mags, Micky Thompson bigs and littles (G60/15's front and L60/15 rear), Small diameter shallow dish steering wheel (swap meet find) and a MoPar add on tach.

The 440 stayed pretty much stock except for some dress up stuff, headers, dual exhaust, and a Mr. Gasket High flow air cleaner.

The insides of both vans were dress out, even though I ordered them both naked inside from the behind the cab. The cabs of both were set up with the following options.
Black trim, High back seats with swivel, and passenger seat recliner, A/C, Radio delete, glove compartment door and light, passenger side sun visor, power disc/drum brakes, power steering, full length headliners, extended cooling, HD from springs, hinges double side and rear cargo doors. Rear glass, Chrome bumpers, Blacked out grill, intermittent wipers, inside rear door lock handle.

The backs of both vans were set up a little differently, though, on had a cabinet with a refrigerator, a sink, a fullsize bed with storage below, tiled floor, carpeted walls and paneled ceiling. The other was set up with rear U shaped dinette (converted to bed), tool storage (doubled as camping supply storage, tiled floor, carpeted walls, paneled ceiling. The ceiling and walls of both were insulated, too.

Here's the kicker: The total price for BOTH vans was $10,850.00 plus tax. Total monthly payments for BOTH vans was $318.00. That was for two brand new vehicles!
As I recall, the 318 van was $5200.00 and the 440 van was $5650.00

btw, in that same years, we priced a Winnebago Motor Home that slept 8 people, it was $10,500.00, but I don't think it would have been as much fun. It did come with a MoPar 440/727 in it though. lol

I love the nose on the early 70s Dodge vans.

I had a 77 400 from a van in my 70 Super Bee right before I sold it.

Ran nearly as good as the 70 HP 383.

Was lots of "fun" pulling that B motor from that van, though!

I picked up a 2003 1500 5.2 a few years back to haul dirt bikes to the races. It was a TV repair van, so it was in really clean shape. It just needed some tune up items, brakes, (4 wheel disc!), plugs etc. and now it pulls the car trailer and tool boxes to the strip. Its the last year for the old body style before they went to that new thing.

I do know you can pee in front of the back tire of a big block van and be stuck on flat pavement!

Dad has a 66 with a 340 (was a 318), neat little ride, at least you're the first on to the accident scene!

my first project when i was 14 was a 77 tradesman 200 short wheel base. my parents customized it back in the late 70s and early 80s.they were in a club called the vantastic vanners . i loved it when they were in the club because we got to go on a lot of trips to campgrounds and funparks. when i got it the van craze was over and the only thing not rusted on the body was the front fenders. i was going to bring it back to its glory with a few extra add ons and new shag carpet. then it spun a bearing in the 318 and that was the end of my dream. i always wanted another van since.

77 B200 w/ 5 lugs, orig. 9.25 rear, orig. 318 2bbl, orig. 727, 140k mles, bed in the back, wacky brown-marble vinyl interior, 3rd captain chair w/ tinted smoker's window (pictured) and I LOVE IT. Perfect for my doberman, as he will likely never set foot one in the Duster.

It was nice to get something already with:
-disc brakes
-sturdy differential
-room for as big of a tire I choose

downsized_0509011915.jpg

Mine...

'74 Plymouth Voyager 1 ton. 360 4 bbl, 12 passenger. Just rebuilt the front suspension, steering is next.

Attachments

• 392679482.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 104
I owned a 1973 B100 Tradesman 318 3 on the tree from 1988 - 1995. I loved it. Super reliable, good on gas. The short wheel base was just long enough for 4x8 building materials. I replaced it with a V6 GMC Safari which was smaller with a smaller fuel injected engine but it didn't do any better on gas and wasn't nearly as cool.

I am currently stashing on a 77 Tradesman van to use as a cool retro-custom van for Nella's lift van. I have all of the components in place to run a 340/auto/8 3/4", but hit a dead end so far due to the economy. I was going to use the money from the sale of my GTX to put into the van, but as of yet the car hasn't sold!! Soon, though!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2898.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_2899.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 115
-
Back