does a 904 slant torque converter=904 sb torque converter?

-

americanmuscle

americanmuscle
Reaction score
I'm doing a slant six to V8 conversion, and I want to know if you can use the torque converter from the six and put it in the small block bellhousing. because the small block trans didn't come with the torque converter. however it is a freshly rebuilt transmission. and can you use the same flexplate? any ideas? any suggestions? and what else do I need?

americanmuscle said:
I'm doing a slant six to V8 conversion, and I want to know if you can use the torque converter from the six and put it in the small block bellhousing. because the small block trans didn't come with the torque converter. however it is a freshly rebuilt transmission. and can you use the same flexplate? any ideas? any suggestions? and what else do I need? oh and how do the weights work. I saw something about how all 318s are internally balanced. is that true?

Yes, the /6 convertor should work with the V8 transmission since they are both 904's. Now a TC for a 904 will not work with a 727 and vice versa because the input shaft spline is different. Flex plate should also interchange as long as the number of crankshaft bolts are the same. I think most cranks use 6, but some have 8. As for weights, the /6 and 318 do not use any on the converter. I recommend using new bolts for both the flex plate to crankshaft and the TC to flex plate.

alright cool, but my sb trans has a different pilot spline count than my six trans, hence the no fit. so can I swap the pilot splines easily, or get a different converter?

Are you sure both transmissions are 904's? What years are they?

Also, I failed to mention this earlier... but I would not recommend installing a used converter with a freshly rebuilt transmission unless you have the converter rebuilt too. You should at least try to flush out the old fluid.

I think I'll buy a new converter. both are 904s, the slant has a 20 some spline count while the sb trans has 30 some. also I need those shumacer mounts to mount to the slant k-member. it's a 67 dart and a LA 318. any way I can get by the $150. if I had dimentions, I'd be tempted to make the damn things.

oh, and thanks for your help. I appericiate and benefit greatly from it. this forum takes a whole bunch of guessing out of this project.

See if you can find a V8 k-frame, that will make the change easier and shpuld be cheaper than the Schumacher motor mounts.

-
Back