does anyone here like Punk Rock?

-
Possibly the first 'punk rock' song, recorded in 1972.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMeZSxNWV8"]Iggy and the Stooges - I Got A Right - YouTube[/ame]

S.O.D.
Corrosion of conformity
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Black Flag
Nine inch nails. ..old stuff

And yeah our kids wore our concert shirts and jean jackets til they were rags.
and we ain't even that old

Nice.

You might appreciate one of my old skateboards.

DRI%20skateboard%20resized_zpsqjba193p.jpg

I've since had Kurt and Spike sign it. No recent pics since I've moved.

The story is that Dave from MDC printed these and the only thing that Kurt got in return was a few of the decks. Kurt sold the one he had a few years ago. He told me that he wanted his dad on the skateboard, because his dad was the person who coined the band name by literally calling them a bunch of dirty rotten imbeciles.

I've got a red moshing man painter cap downstairs in a box, with it. Its all going up once I finish the pin arcade remodel down there.

I can't remember who I got this one from, but I love it to death and it brings back good memories of the shows, old and recent and of getting to BS with Spike and Kurt at the Seven Eleven across the street from the Ogden Theater.

Big Blink 182 fan as well. Dead Kenedys, Dead Milkmen, Ramones. Favorite Dead Milkmen Lyrics from Punk Rock Girl
"We got into a car
Away we started rollin'
I said "How much you pay for this?
She said "Nothing man, it's stolen" LOL

Nice.

You might appreciate one of my old skateboards.

DRI%20skateboard%20resized_zpsqjba193p.jpg

I've since had Kurt and Spike sign it. No recent pics since I've moved.

The story is that Dave from MDC printed these and the only thing that Kurt got in return was a few of the decks. Kurt sold the one he had a few years ago. He told me that he wanted his dad on the skateboard, because his dad was the person who coined the band name by literally calling them a bunch of dirty rotten imbeciles.

I've got a red moshing man painter cap downstairs in a box, with it. Its all going up once I finish the pin arcade remodel down there.

I can't remember who I got this one from, but I love it to death and it brings back good memories of the shows, old and recent and of getting to BS with Spike and Kurt at the Seven Eleven across the street from the Ogden Theater.

Cool as hell!
Any idea what kind of board?

A few I bought just to hang, would like some of the ones I used to ride, but vintage boards are $$$$$$$!

The company was formerly known as FogTown and by the time this deck was screen printed, the company was renamed Concrete Jungle.

They were based in San Francisco and were run by a few people in the bay area locality. One of the guys who edited Thrasher magazine that goes by **** and Dave from the band MDC along with a few others.

Truth be told, it was a skate shop that printed their own stuff and became popular enough to start shipping them out, via catalog and skate magazine orders, when they changed the name to Concrete Jungle. The wood was manufactured by Alva skateboards. The blanks were picked up from the Alva wood shop and then Dave printed them at the Fog Town skate shop.

From my understanding, it was short lived and they only printed a few designs for some local pros. I think D.R.I. was the only band deck that they did. They were not nearly as popular as Santa Cruz, Powell Peralta, Vision, etc., but they were still very high quality.

I remember Fogtown!
Love Alva's, I had a couple Street Fire boards, one of my all time favorites!

That is a nice looking board!

While we're on subject, this is a bay area punk band that some people may know.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Uns3FX80k"]Skate & Destroy - YouTube[/ame]

The Faction have had a revolving door of pro skateboarders that have played with the band, over the years.

Gavin O'Brien
Steve Caballero
Adam Segal
Keith Rendon
Craig Bosch
Ray Stevens, II
Jeff Kendall
Russ Wright

Gavin never had a pro model, but his brother Corey O'Brien did. Steve has been on Powell Peralta forever and Jeff Kendall with Santa Cruz for decades now. Jeff is actually the president of Santa Cruz Skateboards, these days. Rob Roskopp is the founder and owner of Santa Cruz Bicycles. Got out of skating after he got into a motocross accident, started mountain biking to rehab and stayed with it.

My first skateboard was a Jeff Kendall Jagermeister. I remember riding that in my friend Ian's backyard pool, playing DRI records in his bedroom, with the speakers propped up in his window. So much fun!

Dave%20and%20Brendan%20skating%201991%20small_zpsim47xqu3.jpg

My fist board was a Jeff Kendall also, the graffiti model.

Me doing a No Comply over a bench in L5P, Atlanta... 1991...good times!

My first skateboard had 'composition' wheels (fancy word for clay, I think) - first two urethane wheel boards had loose ball bearings (before 'precision bearings' showed up)
I think it was my 4th board (which I made in wood shop) before I had a 'kick tail'.

To tie back into the punk theme, my two college boards were covered in Social D, FEAR, etc. stickers, and one with 'Germs' stenciled all over the bottom of the deck

Hahaha...

That picture of the no-comply is amazing, Knuckle Duster. Is your user name a White Zombie reference? That might be my favorite skate trick. I've got a couple of Graffiti deck blanks that are unskated, leftover SC blacktop stock from '89.

That Santa Cruz deck to the left of that wicked H.R. Giger print (RIP), what is that? I don't recognize it. Is it a new SC plank, playing off of the faces skull that Jim did in '90?

I got out of deck collecting years ago. I used to be a member (may still have an active membership) on S&B, but that place got the best of a lot of people I knew, over there. Some I still talk to, like Jay with the two '70 Cudas in Chicago.

It got entirely out of control with prices and the new record breaker has topped 10G for one deck, just recently. It was a band board, too. Beastie Boys vision, but it had all the colors in it, so not just key color on wood. I do have quite a few rare gems in my collection that I kept, after whittling down to about 12 boards from 50 or so at its peak. Got my Jeff Kendall back from a skate shop in Sicily Italy in the same color. Took me about 7 years to find it.

I gave up deck collecting when I went after a Neil Blender Coffee Break and both Sean Cliver and I got top gunned by some guy who had just spent over $7k on a skydiving pack and a Warhol print, back when you could go through people's ebay purchases. That was my wake up call to get back into the garage and play with cars, instead. lol

Bunch of clock collectors, the lot.

hahahaha...

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Gang Green once with Social Distortion, Mike Ness let me and a buddy in the back door.

Yeah it's newer, not sure of the history on the art, but I bought two, one to ride also.

Don't know how many boards I had over the years, but some favorites I rode were-

Tommy Guerrero (had a bunch 1st and 2nd gen)
Schmitt Stix Danger board, had a couple
H-Street Eddie Elguera
A couple Blockhead boards,don't remember whose
Schmitt Stix Monty Nolder- the only board my Dad ever bought me. Got to hang out with Monty quite a bit in the mid nineties.
SC Corey O'Brian - loved the graphics.
1st gen Lance Mountain - again had a bunch and hung out with him once, super nice guy!

Sorry to the OP for the digression, but punk and skating always went together for me.

[ame]https://youtu.be/D2IBM7ovgvQ[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/fga787iJ-1Q[/ame]

Couple I didn't see mentioned-

Murphy's Law
GBH
Discharge/Broken Bones
Agnostic Front
Ludichrist
Cro-mags
Fear

I was on the metal side of the punk/metal crossover period, but it got me into a lot of good punk stuff as well.

Cro-mags, holy poop I'm old. And that reminded me of the crumbsuckers. I wanna go back n be young again. And agnostic front reminded of Celtic frost, they weren't good, but weren't the worst either.

The godfather of Punk; Iggy. The Cramps. RIP Lux interior. Buzzcocks. Elvis Costello. Might be Punk . Circle Jerks.
Still have their "Golden shower of hits" on vinyl.

I used to be a sponsored skateboarder.

Attachments

• 2014-08-03 16.13.47.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 12.30.40 PM.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 199
When I first moved to FL in '89, one of the first parties I went to was at Rob Rampy's house.

I could count on one hand the number of people in both OH and FL who knew who DRI was at the time.....

Clash
Pistols
Demics
Cramps
Iggy
Gen X
Blondie
Dead boys
Viletones
Elvis Costello
Teenage Head -"F#% the rest heads the best just gimme some Teenage Head"
Even Lou Reed was punk when punk was real , plus all the bands that made the scene before the record companies took over , too bad real Punk died so soon everything since is yuppy poser crap .

I used to be a sponsored skateboarder.

Wow, pretty big accomplishment. I skated for decades, never got anywhere close.

This is my current deck. It's actually pretty old at this point but I don't really skate any more. I want to but every time I get on the damn thing something winds up hurting.

Funny how life comes full circle sometimes - a skateboard with Mopars on it. My life in a nutshell.

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 148
Wow, pretty big accomplishment. I skated for decades, never got anywhere close.

This is my current deck. It's actually pretty old at this point but I don't really skate any more. I want to but every time I get on the damn thing something winds up hurting.

Funny how life comes full circle sometimes - a skateboard with Mopars on it. My life in a nutshell.

Ha. Thanks I didn't go pro but got kind of close. I broke both my legs, wrist and a few fingers. I don't skateboard anymore either. I have a 1 year old boy though and I think i may have to roll around with him when he gets older. Carefully.

-
Back