does anyone know this 340 Duster?

-
I believe that one was for sale before and someone who had seen It in person said the frame rails were soft as butter.

Mom had that year, 318/3 on the floor. I remember shifting it for her sitting between her and my Dad on that slippery bench.

The car is for sale by owner now ... the car is solid and not "soft as butter" anywhere. Just trying to find out more about it ... Anyone know it?

Looks like a nice car. I do see some issues under the hood, but overall nice.

Amateur paint job[wiper and blower motors], and obviously the engine doesn't look factory.

Looks like a nice car. I do see some issues under the hood, but overall nice.

What do you see ?

Coil shouldn't be bolted to the firewall
Shouldn't have electronic ignition, and even if it did it shouldn't be bolted to the inner fender like that
Fuel filter shouldn't be strapped to the water pump/intake area
Breather on the valve cover should be hooked up to the air filter. No idea where either one of those breather hoses go
Wire routing at the starter solenoid/battery is a mess
Aftermarket throttle return spring mount, incorrect throttle return spring (and only one!)

Windshield wipers aren't installed/parked correctly
Carpet is aftermarket
Wrong shift lever on the 4 speed (I guess he has the original)

And that's just what I see. I'm not a restoration guy either...

Actually electronic ignition is factory, its on the fender tag ... It does have some aftermarket parts like the headers and valve covers etc etc but a real numbers matching 1971 4-speed car with build sheet ..they seem to be harder and harder to find now a days

Actually electronic ignition is factory, its on the fender tag ... It does have some aftermarket parts like the headers and valve covers etc etc but a real numbers matching 1971 4-speed car with build sheet ..they seem to be harder and harder to find now a days

good looking car......... poor restoration and its green! I think its worth 15-18K max. My 2 cents

Alright, you got me. It's even on the broadcast sheet #-o. In my defense, the dealer brochure called for a dual point distributor on the 340 cars in '71. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1971/71_Valiant_Duster_14.jpg

But there's no way in hell the coil was originally mounted to the firewall. That was a shadetree shortcut when they added the edelbrock intake, and there's really no reason for it.

Not sure what the reserve is, but he shoulda taken the $23k.

My coil is bolted to the firewall in my 72 Duster, I think it's easier to work on/around the distributor with the coil on the firewall instead of the intake... I'll leave mine there till I go HEI.

My coil is bolted to the firewall in my 72 Duster, I think it's easier to work on/around the distributor with the coil on the firewall instead of the intake... I'll leave mine there till I go HEI.

Whatever. Still looks like a shadetree job mounted there.

I run mine mounted vertically behind the intake. I use an AR Engineering bracket, you can get them from Hughes or Mancini. Much cleaner, much easier to deal with, looks like it should actually be there. The picture is from the mancini website, obviously it's on a big block, but the Air Gap manifold on my 340 has a nice mounting boss on the back that works perfectly.

coil-relocation-bracket-universal-mount-19.gif

7679625-rpmcoilbracket.jpg

Coil shouldn't be bolted to the firewall
Shouldn't have electronic ignition, and even if it did it shouldn't be bolted to the inner fender like that
Fuel filter shouldn't be strapped to the water pump/intake area
Breather on the valve cover should be hooked up to the air filter. No idea where either one of those breather hoses go
Wire routing at the starter solenoid/battery is a mess
Aftermarket throttle return spring mount, incorrect throttle return spring (and only one!)

Windshield wipers aren't installed/parked correctly
Carpet is aftermarket
Wrong shift lever on the 4 speed (I guess he has the original)

And that's just what I see. I'm not a restoration guy either...[/

The only thing I see wrong with this car that would be a major concern would be . The right/Pass. fender was either replaced or repaired.

The fender does not look correct above the light rim and also at the top in front of the door. Looks to have been Damaged and repaired. Or it could have been replaced years back with a new fender. I have seen these issues with new fenders years ago. when replacing them for collision repair.

One other thing is the rear bumper. The bumper to body pads are missing. These to were often not replaced with collision repair . Or maybe some one just forgot them after the repaint.

Why is a 40k car repainted under the hood and where is the fuel vent tube that should be run to the breather.

Just some issues you should look at . The rest are just minor things that can be addressed easily.

A/C alt. and it looks like it lines up. Bushings had to be modified for this otherwise the belt would not line up.

BEWARE! of what you don't see. Take an old timer that knows 71's with you to look at it.

I would want to see pix b4 repaint...also that green gas tank looks like a half *** has worked on it.really I think as nice as it is it needs all the factory parts back on it to bring the kind of $ they must want.

The only thing I see wrong with this car that would be a major concern would be . The right/Pass. fender was either replaced or repaired.

The fender does not look correct above the light rim and also at the top in front of the door. Looks to have been Damaged and repaired. Or it could have been replaced years back with a new fender. I have seen these issues with new fenders years ago. when replacing them for collision repair.

One other thing is the rear bumper. The bumper to body pads are missing. These to were often not replaced with collision repair . Or maybe some one just forgot them after the repaint.

Why is a 40k car repainted under the hood and where is the fuel vent tube that should be run to the breather.

Just some issues you should look at . The rest are just minor things that can be addressed easily.

A/C alt. and it looks like it lines up. Bushings had to be modified for this otherwise the belt would not line up.

BEWARE! of what you don't see. Take an old timer that knows 71's with you to look at it.

100% original body panels including the fenders, never any repairs or patches, Rear bumper is original and perfect it has the bumper to body pads, The car has aftermarket headers that have vent tubes that replace the one on the air cleaner, Alt seems to be a replacement, the car is close to me I will look at it again and get some pics of the areas mentioned ...Thanks for your input

Attachments

• 2016-03-31 11.23.19.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 2016-03-31 18.58.03.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 227
-
Back