does everyone use the " green bearing kit" now?

-

valiant360

Reaction score
I'm fixing to start to put together my 8 3/4. Sounds like the green bearing is alot simpler to deal with. What are the pro's and cons of both setups.

I have had very good luck with using green bearings. The biggest plus is that there is no longer a need to adjust the axle end play. I remember someone telling me that they had a couple of negatives to say about them and went back to using Timmokens(sp?). I cannot remember what those comments were at the moment.

There is no drawback. They were designed as a stock replacement for the tapered Timkens.

I Thought I Heard A While Back That These Bearings Did Not Take The Side Loads That Well Verse The Other Type Sraight Line Good Not So Good On Road Race ?

Oh yeah, go around a turn too fast and you might see your whole wheel and axle go rolling off into the ditch without you. =D>

Got any reference, link, or even anecdotal story to support this rumor?

Or does the myth still just refuse to die? :poke:

Now the ball bearing genie is out of the bottle again. How long before somebody comes along and says they'll wear out too fast and can't take the side load, despite the fact plenty of people are running them on circle tracks all around the country and racked up millions of miles on the street running them with no problem whatsoever?

NO CANT SAY THAT I DO JUST GOSSIP I GUESS SO AS FAR AS YOU MAY NO THESE BEARINGS ARE GOOD FOR ALL TYPES OF DRIVING SOUNDS JUST GREAT NO ADJ.WOW:cheers:

I've had them in the Duster for over 2 years now. No problems
at all. Some guys have said there only for race cars, but mine
is a street/ strip car. More street. I would say put them in.
Alot better then trying to set up the bearings the old way.

Although "green bearings" are a viable replacement bearing, it is a ball bearing and the Timken is a tapered roller bearing. Of the two types, a tapered roller bearing will, by design, carry more load than a ball bearing. That being said a Timken bearing is better and recommened in higher side load applications. Now since some people can't just take someones word on this (yet they expect you to take their word, which is OK) and require an example, Moser has a Timken bearing option on it's axles for $10 and they also have a Timken bearing listed as a "hobby stock" bearing. Their "hobby stock" axle package only comes with the Timken bearing. Logic would dictate that this is because Moser knows that the Timken bearing is a better bearing in this application. This is why the Timken bearing is also optional on their other axles, there are applications for this style bearing.

I run both bearings, I have "green bearings" in one of my street cars and my drag car. I have a Timken bearings in my circle track car. I have yet to see a Timken bearing fail in a circle track application but have seen many "green bearings" fail and not just on a Mopar. One of the businesses I own is a race car fabrication business. I have built and worked on many cars for the local circle track and have seen this first hand.

Unless you are going to see some serious track time on a road course or circle track the "green bearings" will be fine.

Chuck

-
Back