Does it hurt the value???

-

31pickemup

Reaction score
Hey Gang
I'm in the process of restoring my 67 'S' Fastback Barracuda 383 automatic.
The color isn't one of my favorites. It's Monotone yellow with black interior. I'm painting it the original color but was considering changing the interior color to white. Which is easy and I only have to change the door panels and covers. Would this really hurt the value much?

if looking to resell, i say yes, but just a little. if you are going to keep it and enjoy it, then it does not matter

If you were changing it to black, I'd say probably not. Since you plan on changing it to white, I'll say maybe a little. I'd have to say that the black interior is probably more popular/desirable.

It also really depends on how original the car is. If the interior is the only thing that keeps it from being 100% original, it will hurt the value more. If its not a nut-and-bolt restoration kind of car, it won't be as big of a deal.

for something so simple id say no it really wont hurt value most people want black so if your wanting to flip in a few years people will honestly pay the same money you just maybe narrowing your market. In the end they want the car and not the small details....just my .02

Since you are keeping it OG color, change the interior to whatever you like. Then take everything from the old interior and stow it away somewhere (provided it is in condition to be saved). Be up front with people down the road if you are selling and tell them you swapped the interior from black to white and have the original black interior if they want it. Snap a couple of pictures of the car prior to making the swap if you want.

I think when people run into problems is when they take a car and try and pass it off as something that it is not. It also becomes more complicated the more times a car changes hands and the overall history is lost.

As an aside, I think that a yellow car with white interior does not have enough contrast for my liking. In my head, it just seems like too much light color for my taste.

Yeah i agree with you Cudafan about the light color with light interior. But on a 67 I think the only thing white is the covers and doors panels. Everything else is black so lots of contrast

if you are keeping the car, what does it matter. if you are going to sell it off later, its easy enough to change back. just save your black stuff

The only parts that would have been white are the vinyl covered parts anyway. Easy enough to go back to black.

-
Back