Does the fuel tank need a vent..

-

grassy

Reaction score
When we pulled all the pollution crap off the car, I just plugged the vent.

We has suffered no problems with drivability but reading one thread on his car lunging, it has started to make me think.

Should I unblock the tube and stick some sort of filter on it ?

Thanks
Ian.

Of course it needs to be vented. But I have no idea what you are working on

Of course it needs to be vented. But I have no idea what you are working on

You have know me for how long ? :)

'75 Duster with a 360.

At the present time, I just have a bolt in the tube...since I am not feeding this back to the engine bay, would a gas filter with a line coming down and back towards the rear of the car be ok ?

the older cars have a vent line that goes right into the top portion of the fill tube. my fuel cell in trunk has a roll over vent and then a section of line with a couple loops in it then back thru the floor and vents to atmosphere. imagine trying to suck water outta a water bottle with your lips sealed tight. you suck and the bottle caves in with the suction. now imagine your gas tank sitting full with gas and vapor sitting in the sun. thermal expansion builds pressure and its like shaking up a bottle of soda. you need a vent some place outside the car or into the filler neck with a vented gas cap.

the older cars have a vent line that goes right into the top portion of the fill tube. my fuel cell in trunk has a roll over vent and then a section of line with a couple loops in it then back thru the floor and vents to atmosphere. imagine trying to suck water outta a water bottle with your lips sealed tight. you suck and the bottle caves in with the suction. now imagine your gas tank sitting full with gas and vapor sitting in the sun. thermal expansion builds pressure and its like shaking up a bottle of soda. you need a vent some place outside the car or into the filler neck with a vented gas cap.

Not mine...I think mine went to a charcoal canister in the engine bay. I understand where you are coming from.Can you mod your gas ca to be a vented version ?

I removed all of that crap from mine too. I was going to pull the line going back to the tank, but haven't yet. I put a really small fuel filter in the end of the hose line, works like a charm.

The one I used is from a mower or something, it's about as big around as a quarter and an inch or better long. I figured at least the tank can breath and it prevents dirt from getting in.

It looks a little silly just sitting there, I have actually thought about adding a longer rubber tube to it and running it forward and put the filter out of sight.

Thanks. This will be a 'to do" early next spring or late fall.

In the meantime, I shall take off the gas cap on a regular basis....especially if we are driving any distance.

-
Back