Does the mini starter change the "Chrysler sound" of start up?

-

Miranthis

Reaction score
Title says it. While I think the change to the Dakota starter is a great idea for lots of reasons, I don't want to change the essesntial sounds that my 66 Barracuda always had. Will this change it a lot?

Yes, the authentic Chrysler starter sound will be gone if you put on a mini starter.

Last edited:
The old DDDDodge starters rob all the juice from the ignition.

Mini Starters just plain and simple, start the engine like right now.

☆☆☆☆☆

Mini starter all benefits aside, the original chrysler starter sound, is just like nothing else to me. One of the many little quirks that I love about Ma. I like the character they provide to a vehicle. Just my opinion of course.

Here's the best reason to do it besides a smaller, better working starter.

Get an offset lug kit off of whoever was selling them here on FABO. Sorry I can't remember who I bought it from.

Tom

20160811-211330.jpg

Starter.jpg

starter3.jpg

starter7.jpg

The mini starter is nice, but it just loses something when the whine is gone...
"Back in the day", we'd scour the boneyards for 6v starters off of old DeSotos and Chryslers- there was a proper way to mod our 12v starters by using the 6v field windings (yeah, it's been a loooong time...), instant hi-torque starter. Chrysler whine x2! Sounded like you were cranking over a jet turbine... Ah, the old days.

Last edited:
My cars start so fast with them I never hear it unless car has sat for a while. And that only happens on my Barracuda with the Edelbrock carb for some reason . But that’s another topic.

I have the best of both worlds.
My '69 Dart which has Doug's headers on a 340, has a high torque mini starter.
It works fantastic and clears the headers by quite a bit.
Definitely the way to go in this case.
My '69 Valiant which is a 318 with stock manifolds has a high torque regular Chrysler starter.
It spins that engine over fast and has the old school gear reduction sound that Mopars are noted for.
There's lots of clearance.
I love them both, but the application dictates which one I will choose for the build...

I do miss the sound, and I did install the offset lugs.
But hey! 7 pounds is seven pounds. I'll take it.

Yeah, seven pounds is seven pounds; but I don't drive an ounce-pinching race car, either. I put on seven pounds after Taco Tuesday and a six pack of beer. That ain't gonna change. Seven pounds is less than a gallon of gas, so I can just drive fifteen miles and lose that much. :)

The big thing I do like about the mini starter is there seems to be a lot fewer instances of heat soak and hot start issues, probably a side benefit of the smaller size and more clearance.

Well 7 lbs isn't much when I replaced the cast crank /6 in my truck with a forged crank version.
There's more than "+7" lbs difference there... And adding factory AC to a truck that was never previously equipped. 7lb don't mean much ...

Mini starter sounds like a Honda when starting.

The only thing that gives that Chrysler starter sound is a Chrysler starter.

If your car won't start quickly with a stock starter then fix your tune up so it does.

And it sounds so good ZZTOP used it in a song.

Last edited:
I thought about changing to a mini starter on my 65 Formula S Barracuda. Since I love the sound of the original type and have no issues with heat soak or clearance I kept it. Just something about that whine that ses Mopar! 65

The old Chrysler starter has a signature sound that mopar fans can hear across the parking lot. I’m a fan of the sound but, I went with the modern one on my car. Small, affordable, and opens up room for activities

Not to mention that the newer style starters almost never go out. Try changing one in the pits, or on your tow vehicle and having to scour the swap meet to find a clean used one and hope it works. I’m as Chrysler crazy as anybody else, but I can do without the sound of it means reliability!

-
Back