Does this look normal?

-

demon700

Reaction score
Tried to take my steering column out and it just wouldn't come, so I heated the piece still on the steering box(which i figured was a spline) and gave it a pry...nothing, so i heated it a little more and gave it a sharp yank...she come out...but not the way i thought it should...so tell me...am I screwed, or is this fixable?

steering.JPG
steering 2.JPG
steering 3.JPG

steering.JPG

steering 2.JPG

steering 3.JPG

there is a roll pin in the bottom coupler, needs to be removed first. Kit you need is mopar part # 1-04443436ac

i knocked out the roll pin before i heated it up, i thought it would pop right off, but it didn't. Thanks for the help though guys, there is hope yet.

i knocked out the roll pin before i heated it up, i thought it would pop right off, but it didn't. Thanks for the help though guys, there is hope yet.

Try zapping the lower end of the coupling with a little bit of KROIL. It's the best penetrant I've found. (I've seen it at Eastwood Co, but not at the mass market parts shops.)

You need a pry bar to get that off. I'd clean that grease off and check the play between the shoes and the housing. If there isn't much, I'd skip the rebuild kit and put it back together, with new grease, of course.

AHH.. KROIL not only does it work,but it smells good to.

the part that you yanked out, should just slide out easily. There is a small 1/16" ish dowl pin that is tapped into the side of the coupler body that needs to be punched it first...then it comes out easily. you probly broke that pin but it does come with the re-build kit.

-
Back