Does this p/s pump modification work?

-

drewmac

Reaction score
I read an article (Pump it down rev1) by Mopar action that shows that if you modify the valve in a Saginaw pump (to lower pressure) your overall steering will be closer to a modern type feel (similar to firm feel). Has anyone done this mod? I will post a link to the article asap. They noted that 6 cylinder pumps had lost pressure from the factory, around 850 vs. 1350 for a v8 pump.

Generally speaking if e-berg over at mopar action prints up a tech article it will be something legit. Think about it this way. Nobody was paying them to advertise their product in that article. They tell you to use a simple parts store washer as a shim. It wasn't a case of them receiving a free "superdooperdiscombobulator" and then installing it and telling us how great of an improvement it made to their cars, bank accounts, and sex lives like some magazines have been known to do.

Thanks for the information guys.

Kimmer- What size shims did you end up going with? Do you know what your pressure ended up at?

mcnoople- Thanks. I have seen quite a few of thier articles and have used thier info. I did not intent to insiuate they were not knowledgeable. Just wanted a second opinion.

..........i cant remember for sure......i had a few pumps so i just robbed the shims and played with it till igot the feel i was looking for......i think .050, but i think i all depends on how ur pump was performing to start with.......kim...........

Can a similar modification be done to the Chrysler/ Federal type pump? This is the type of pump I ended up getting due to the brackets needed for my cast iron water pump. I know it has 2 stages vs. just one in the Saginaw type.

Anybody who can make a '67 Dart competitive on the One Lap of America event (Ehrenberg) has my complete attention.

-
Back