Dog Killin' Coyote

-

redlined

Reaction score
Was out in the yard today letting the dogs run around a little. Heard a single yelp, turned around and a coyote had the wife's chihuahua in it's mouth, already headed for the pasture. {I have 20 acres} Bold sob, broad daylight, and not 10 yds from me. Came right up in the back yard and snagged him. Damndest thing. Wife's gonna throw a fit.
Rest assured, I'll kill the too brave bastard and hang his ears on the fence. Have a home made caller, a .244 and a major hard on for him.
RIP Chito.

Sorry to hear....I have a small pup too and the 'yotes worry me.

RIP lil Chito :sad8:

Sorry to hear. Word of advice. Coyotes are nocturnal. If you see um out during the day, something is usually bad wrong....like rabies.

Not necessarily nocturnal here. Have to be careful all the time........

Not necessarily nocturnal here. Have to be careful all the time........

no kidding...

i almost hit a bobcat the other day...

and to the OP... sorry about the pup... read the title and was thinking the dog got even!

Sorry to hear, here in WA if you have a hunting Lic Coyotes are open all year long with no tag in the whole state.....

Sorry about your pup-I'd lose it if anything happened to my "little diva"....

Sorry to hear about your wife's pet. Don't rest until you clean the area out. Move around to another spot after you shoot one, they learn quick.

And yes, I see them in the middle of the day all the time. They are either getting braver or there are to many of them for the land to carry.

Jack

Gosh that's sad to hear about your dog.

Department of Natural Resources brought them down here on purpose to control deer poppulation. Not good.

I've seen them out in the day many times. At least the Eastern variant. I recall years ago when I was working a farm. I was out one day raking hay on the tractor and as I would come around on one side of the field there was a whole pack that would run out and get mice after I went through. It surprised me how quickly they ran out behind the tractor. They would catch one and run into the wood line and then come back out on each pass I made. Thought it was "cute" at the time....

They've actually been biting children and young adults as well as killing pets out here. They've been exceptionally bold this fall. All attacks have happened during the daylight out here and the CDW thinks it's a family that's teaching each other how to attack. They've got to go...

Was out in the yard today letting the dogs run around a little. Heard a single yelp, turned around and a coyote had the wife's chihuahua in it's mouth, already headed for the pasture. {I have 20 acres} Bold sob, broad daylight, and not 10 yds from me. Came right up in the back yard and snagged him. Damndest thing. Wife's gonna throw a fit.
Rest assured, I'll kill the too brave bastard and hang his ears on the fence. Have a home made caller, a .244 and a major hard on for him.
RIP Chito.
So sorry to hear this bad news redlined, These very smart and high energy animals will strike in a split second and be one mile away in on 5 minutes and never get tired
It's that time of year again here where they are packing up in dozens and they are lethal packed up and dangerous to many animal's
Ranchers use Donkeys in there pasture to keep them back and trap's and a trained eye
Floods have moved mother natures out of there naturel territories here and I would be sure the fires has dun the same in Texas...
Not that I have dun this :thumrigh: But if you want to bring them back in Beaver blood for sent and or a Rabbit distress call can bring them out in the open

My little white dog very small Maltez is always in danger here on the hill, Bob cats to hawks and Owls will snag her up, but she only gets out maybe twice a day with me with her, But all it would take is a couple seconds and she could be scooped up and carried away :hmph::sad11:.

Hay!! They do have a hunting season on them :cheers: gather a few friends and set them up for a thin down :wav:
These packs have moved in most likely because the fires have moved them to new feeding strategies.
Catch some mice in a live trap and take it out in a field and let them squeak wanting out will bring them in to feed so you can feed them some brass :thumrigh:
So sorry to here the loss of wife's chihuahua, If I lost Boogy that way I would not be here on this computer this morning :!: I would be a man on a mission ..

They've actually been biting children and young adults as well as killing pets out here.
They are becoming more de-sensitized to human contact due to ever increasing urban sprawl and encroachment on their habitat. They are only doing what comes natural to them, and are after all, wild animals. Wild animals that are unfortunately, more or less inadvertently forced into contact with humans due to no fault of their own.

I live out in the country also with 20ac surrounded by farmland and woods. Coyotes are always a problem but it seems like the last week or two they have been more active and noisey. I worry about my aging female wolfdawg who is now with a smaller shaggy Malamutt (at least he thinks h`e is tough). I have seen coyotes in broad daylight travelling down the edges of the fields but they usually are active at night.

Kinda strange story...my shaggy male wannabe wolfdawg likes to go along side my PU as I drive down my gravel road back to the woods where he sniffs and pees. He was kinda more excited than usual about our "walks" and one weekend day as I was bush hogging my pasture field I see what I think is a tall coyote walking in parallel to my place in a freshly harvested wheat field (tall stubble) kinda stalking me on the tractor. My place is long and narrow cause I have a grass airstrip on it and that field was on the other side of the airstrip. This crittr was paralling me so as I got back to the shed I grabbed a .223 mini-14 and sitting on the tractor (bush hog still turning and shaking me on a very wobbly seat, beer in a big cup between my legs) I take a bead through the scope (badly in need of adjusting as the mini is hard on scopes) and this critter looks like the tallest coyote I have ever seen and it's ears look too tall. It was kinda redish too. I take what aim I can sitting there and pop one off. The critter drops, rolls, then gets up and bounces off across the field, stopping at the other side looking back at me across the pushed down stubble trail made by the tire tracks of the combine as if to say "you @sshole"! My little dawg was laying on the gravel road behind me like nothing was happening but I think he knew this critter was there.

I think he was trying to court it (a her?) and after it (she?) had left the area he still was looking for "her" for a few weeks. Talking about it at work with another country gun guy he suggested it may not have been a cotote after all. It looked like this sorta:

redwolf.jpg

Around here there is no season on coyotes and as far as I am concerned spotlighting is allowed, which I think is legal in TX. We hate coyotes around my place.

When we lived in suburbia in SoCal with the wild hills in our backyard we had a problem with coyotes coming into the yard and snatching our small dawgs. One night I heard a yelp and our slamm old sickly female was gone - I saw her remains down the hill the next day. After that I kept a shotgun handy in my room. One night I heard a yelp and I jumped outta bed, grabbed the shotgun, burst through the window screen and ran to the edge of our yard which then went down a hill to the wilds - I fired off a round and shouted. Up comes a very wet and very shaken little dawg. I guess the thief let go as the shot scared it and the little guy ws OK.

I live out in the country also with 20ac surrounded by farmland and woods. Coyotes are always a problem but it seems like the last week or two they have been more active and noisey. I worry about my aging female wolfdawg who is now with a smaller shaggy Malamutt (at least he thinks h`e is tough). I have seen coyotes in broad daylight travelling down the edges of the fields but they usually are active at night.

Kinda strange story...my shaggy male wannabe wolfdawg likes to go along side my PU as I drive down my gravel road back to the woods where he sniffs and pees. He was kinda more excited than usual about our "walks" and one weekend day as I was bush hogging my pasture field I see what I think is a tall coyote walking in parallel to my place in a freshly harvested wheat field (tall stubble) kinda stalking me on the tractor. My place is long and narrow cause I have a grass airstrip on it and that field was on the other side of the airstrip. This crittr was paralling me so as I got back to the shed I grabbed a .223 mini-14 and sitting on the tractor (bush hog still turning and shaking me on a very wobbly seat, beer in a big cup between my legs) I take a bead through the scope (badly in need of adjusting as the mini is hard on scopes) and this critter looks like the tallest coyote I have ever seen and it's ears look too tall. It was kinda redish too. I take what aim I can sitting there and pop one off. The critter drops, rolls, then gets up and bounces off across the field, stopping at the other side looking back at me across the pushed down stubble trail made by the tire tracks of the combine as if to say "you @sshole"! My little dawg was laying on the gravel road behind me like nothing was happening but I think he knew this critter was there.

I think he was trying to court it (a her?) and after it (she?) had left the area he still was looking for "her" for a few weeks. Talking about it at work with another country gun guy he suggested it may not have been a cotote after all. It looked like this sorta:

redwolf.jpg

Around here there is no season on coyotes and as far as I am concerned spotlighting is allowed, which I think is legal in TX. We hate coyotes around my place.
back in the day I would ride shot gun when wheat and been fields was getting cut :glasses7: Coyotes tend to fallow close by because they know we will move and flush out rabbits and mice as we harvest
To everyone out there!! Mother nature is striking back, so be prepared to protect your stock and pet's and it's that time of year again here in Arkansas and Missouri to be ready for a traveling mouton lion/cougar..
Don't wait till you see a small child get attracted to put them down :protest: feed them some brass before another attack hit's the news.......
There is already sightings on the news in the last two weeks and I have No sympathy on anything that will attack, We are not on the top of the food chain in there environment... be prepared and scout your area packing a good set of eyes and ears along with a good brush gun, me, it's a 30-30 for the brush and a side arm when I do my rounds to keep a close eye on what mother nature is sending us this year..

They are becoming more de-sensitized to human contact due to ever increasing urban sprawl and encroachment on their habitat. They are only doing what comes natural to them, and are after all, wild animals. Wild animals that are unfortunately, more or less inadvertently forced into contact with humans due to no fault of their own.

I agree with you 100%. Pets have become a food source and I believe it starts with people who move into their McMansion on the outskirts of town for the country air and the veiw, letting their cats roam, which then brings the 'yotes closer, then they start on small dogs and then of course, small humans.

It's difficult problem, but i still believe that coyotes must be controlled when a persons livestock (their living), their family and pets on thier own property are in danger. Coyotes are smart and know where they are being hunted and will move off.

A rancher I knew had about 8 big mixed breed dogs that kept the coyotes off his property. A new comer from California bitched to the CDW that his dogs killed a deer on her property even though she had no proof and they belived her and made him pen his dogs. Within two weeks half his livestock including a donkey were slaughtered by Coyotes and he had pictures from a game camera to prove it.

He had a ethical and viable way to control his coyote problem that hurt no one and a hippie, tree hugging do-gooder wrecked it. Crappy situation all the way around.

I find coyotes and wolves facinating, and have in been in physical contact with a timber wolf, but I also believe in wildlife/public/private land management. Preservation is a pipe dream perpertrated by those who believe that nature is some nirvana, not the tooth and fang world it really is.

Just my 2 cents. :thumrigh:

We shoot coyotes on sight around here. The critters that come out in the daylight and act as brazen as that one did, not afraid of human on a noisey machine, damn straight the rifle is coming out. I had no previous idea that there were other critters that resemble coyotes and at the time (mid summer) this one was really shaggy from half-shedding.

The only wolves I had known about look like my old (rest in peace my friend) buddy Kenai, the mighty wolf. Big difference in the looks...

220px-Howlsnow.jpg

...anyways, I am actually glad that this one was able to bounce away and I think it has stayed away too. Maybe that's why the coyotes are now making lotsa trouble in the area. My old female is kinda weary at night, hides in the shadows and protected spots (she is free to roam as is the other one).

City folks would not understand. Either does the clowns in DC who just delisted gray wolves from the endangered species list. Thanks obummer!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/10/04/1826295/obama-administration-proposes.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec11/wolves_09-19.html

airwoofer,

I've heard many stories out here of Coyotes putting their females in heat out to attract dogs. Once the dog moves in on the female, the rest of the pack jumps the dog and kills and eats it.

airwoofer,

I've heard many stories out here of Coyotes putting their females in heat out to attract dogs. Once the dog moves in on the female, the rest of the pack jumps the dog and kills and eats it.

We had a pack move in to my yard at my old home place and Ratchet my male sleeping in my shop woke us and two Coyotes had him at booth ends trying to pull him apart, Ratchet half breed lab was just protecting our female Rosy that was in heat/season I got four rounds off 2 am in the morning and Ratchet lost two lower teeth that night and scared up bad... I found a Dead male in the ditch the next morning Joe, and it was not from a shot gun shot, Ratchet opened his scull :thumrigh:
RIP Ratchet, You always dun you job keeping us aware..

Coyotes are out night and day around here in Washington coast, especially when cows drop their calves in the spring. A few dogs and cats reported missing,but egales been known to get some of them.
Moe

We had a pack move in to my yard at my old home place and Ratchet my male sleeping in my shop woke us and two Coyotes had him at booth ends trying to pull him apart, Ratchet half breed lab was just protecting our female Rosy that was in heat/season I got four rounds off 2 am in the morning and Ratchet lost two lower teeth that night and scared up bad... I found a Dead male in the ditch the next morning Joe, and it was not from a shot gun shot, Ratchet opened his scull :thumrigh:
RIP Ratchet, You always dun you job keeping us aware..

Good job Ratchet! I always thought he was a cool dog. :thumrigh: RIP Ratchet, you will not be forgotten.

airwoofer,

The other night I had cooked some chickens for my furry friends who were laying in what was the garden just a while before - the area is lighted and open so nobody can sneak up. When I went to feed them they had taken off and in the distance I could hear the dawgs from the area barking and what sounded like my young (and kinda small but don't tell him) wannabe wolf bark, bark, yelp! After a while things quieted down and I kep calling but nothing. I had feared the worst and was kinda sad but a while later here they come, tired but no blood. They chase after the cototes and I am kinda sure the day is coming. The damn things are active lately. Not sure if they are in heat now but maybe as they have pups in the spring.

Another story - when I first got the female WD to keep my buddy Kenai (the mighty wolf) company she took him for an adventure into the back woods one Saturday. I was out back mowing and here she comes bacl alone with a little blood red on her white coat. I go grab the rifle and get in my PU truck tearing off behind those woods honking and way in the back here comes Kenai. He is tired as heck and all bloody. I get him in the back of the PU and bring him back to the house - not a hole on him.

You wanna keep coyotes away, get a bigger dawg pair. I suggest WDs but they are very high maintenance and not for everybody.

We've had problems here in the SoCal suburbs that back up to natural areas of people losing their pets to coyotes - some taken right off the leash as their owners are walking them. Also some reports in the newspapers of both mountain lions and coyotes seen stalking small kids.
I'm always amazed by people that move into those areas without a clue as to what was living there naturally before. Mother Nature is both wondrous and violent.

Good job Ratchet! I always thought he was a cool dog. :thumrigh: RIP Ratchet, you will not be forgotten.
Thank you Joe :thumrigh:, There is a picture of me with Franks Timber wolf floating around here some where, I asked about seeing him and he said to be happy to see him and not get scared and he will decide if he wants you to pet him :!: Well Frank said he took to me real fast and liked my presents and rubbed up against me and let me pet him after he seen my hand down for a good sent test, He could stand on his hind legs and sniff my bald head :cheers:
He never took his eyes of of us till something ells caught his eye's or ears
What a great treat to watch him and move like a no dog I ever seen, Thank you for the memories Frank :cheers:

-
Back