Dog owners need to see this

-
Yes, take the dog away. Stupid freakin owners....follow the rules. They had 2 strikes, so did they not learn from the 1st strike??

I listened to the segment twice to make sure I understood it. I don't see why the dog needs to be euthanized if he is not violent....why couldn't he be put up for adoption? The city needs to come up with a better law. That being said, the owners understood the law but still broke the law, so they are the ones who brought this on. How would she feel if a loose dog attacked her child?

in my experience, its not the breed of the dog that makes them viscious, but the owner who raises them. this law is retarted. 100k worth of coverage for a dog just cuz its a certain breed? My sister owns 3 pitbull and my dad owns 2. All 5 would viscously jump on the couch and tag-team lick your face. I amost poo'd my pants last time cuz they slobbered all over me. They are truly viscious animals. BS!!! Its not the dog that makes it viscious but the owners inability to socialize and raise their dog properly. I think this law is bullshit. I hope someone in demoine iowa gets horribly mauled by a border collie so these idiots can realize its once again, the owner that makes the dog viscious. They will probably break out an excuse along the lines of "Michael Vick treated all of his dogs awesome and raised them properly and treated them all with respect. They were all just viscous dogs that wanted to fight cuz they were pitbulls"

OK, here's my take on this:

Breed specific laws suck and we have much more stringent laws here in Denver. Pitbulls are banned, period. It sucks and it's all because a few dumbasses let there pits run free and they went feral and attacked multiple people. Needless to say, two people went to the hospital with severe injuries and the dogs were shot on the spot. It was all caught on film. Personally, I think they should have shot the owner and rescued the dogs.

Even as a dog owner, I have a big problem with loose dogs.

1. If my leashed dog gets attacked by a dog that's off-leash, I can legally shoot that dog and the owner is liable for my vet bills.
2. Dogs let loose all day will pack up and get aggressive. It's their nature and a survival instinct. Since their Alpha master is not there, they will follow the most agressive Alpha dog they can find.
3. Larger dogs are very keen to body language and learn very quickly that they can intimidate people when loose. Merlin got loose once (jumped the fence) and chased him all over creation for hours. All I had to do was listen for the screams when he went towards someone. I would absolutely hate to see the damage that big guy could do if led by the wrong element (gang banger alpha biker dogs, lol). He's sweet as pie but I'm very aware that he could turn and I keep a very, very close eye on him, he is always leashed when out in public and I never let him out front with the 4 foot fence unless I'm watching him. I couldn't live with myself if he got put down.
5. A responsible owner ALWAYS checks the local laws on owning and keeping a dog. Ignorance is no excuse and the dog and their child had to pay the price. There's a lot of laws I don't necessarily agree with but I still follow them. Plus, thier dog was caught once already, why didn't they check the laws then? I'm baffled.

In conclusion, it totally sucks that the law is so stringent. A better way to handle the problem would be to rescue the dog from these irresponsible owners and place the big guy with someone who give a crap about him. It's a bad scene anyway you look at it. :angry7:

Obviously this is just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like. :-D Dogs do get out and death seems a really severe penalty but I'll bet if he was insured, he would not have been put down as it would have shown that the owners cares and is trying to be responsible. BTW, my buddy had a Pitbull named Joshua who was one of the best behaved dogs I ever knew. When I'd crash out on his couch I would wake up with him sleeping on my chest. He was awesome and I knew him for 8 years and was even there when we had to put him down due to age (he was 15) and a nerve disease. That was a very sad day indeed.

Felons get three strikes, but in Des Moines, friendly dogs get only two. Some justice. That's a f'd up law.

Maybe she should have learned the after the first strike.

Not saying it's right, i have owned 2 pits in the past. One was totally chill, the other was not friendly to other dogs. Even after being fixed and regular socialization w/ other dogs

Municipalities and doggie jails areover extended and would rather put said doggie down because they are booked full because retards can't keep their dogs tied or fenced.

I have 2 neighbors on my street that have dogs that wonder and cause trouble.
One is directly across the street that attacks my riding lawnmower when i cut my front yard, and the idiot owners will stand out in their yard while it is happening and totally ignore it, won't even look up to watch what happens.
The last time it happened I pulled out my boot knife and yelled at the dog top of my lungs to back off, even turned off the mower for full effect and the neighbors still ignored it.
I yelled across the street that if their dog bites me I will stab it in the heart repeatedly, still ignored me.

Neighbor#2 has a pitt bull mix and a doberman, lab mix that run together every morning and evening on our street barking, terrorizing and holding vehicles hostage at the stop sign or driveway entrances.
While on foot, they will chase you down and nip at your heels and keep just enough distance when you try to kick them, then they snap at you.
repeated calls to the police and animal control yielded several warnings, and finally fines, then the last I heard was next time the owner will go to jail.
Well I have not seen the dogs for a bout 2 months now so probably gone.

The dog got out twice plus they didn't have insurance. That's three strikes in my book. While it's true how a dog is raised will determine its temperament, I'd rather go up against a mean Collie than any Pit Bull.

A better law would be one strike and the dog gets put up for adoption and the owners are required to pay to support it. But when push comes to shove I'd be willing to bet most of the people that don't keep the dog on a leash or have insurance would rather see it put down.

The law is the law. I don't agree about it being put down. They should give it to a family that will obey the regulations on having a pit-bull. I'm kind of suprised that there aren't animal cruelty groups getting invovled in it because of the dog not being violent.

Pittbulls are pretty much doomed if they go to the pound kinda like pet discrimination, where's the Jesse jackson of Pitt bulls? LOL.

Back in highschool I had a pittbull of mine put down before I got home from school because she snapped her collar and went after my idiot Sister's rabbits and killed them all despite my warning that this is what would happen if she put a rabbit hutch next to my pitt bull, kinda like building an elementar school next to a sex offendor volunatry treatment center.
Two of my Brothers and my Mom were beating the dog with a ball bat and tennis rackets which did not phase the dog whatsoever.
I was pretty pissed because the dog was very friendly and would lick a newborn baby to death, but for some reason, duh....snapped and went for the rabbits....I would too, those suckers are good eatin'.....go figure.

I can share many pitt bull stories but not enough time, but I will say this, rabbits aside, they can be the friendliest animals for years then all of the sudden snap and do some serious destruction out of the blue as they do have a kill mechanism like no other.

Stupid laws are made to be broken. That's like going to the hospital,
have the doctor say you have a broken arm and we have to put you
down because you might break it again.

A pitbull is the one dog that can inflict the most damage in the shortest time...But i pretty much pellet or sling shot any loose dogs or cats..Less trouble then popping a pellet in the owners ***.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~ Unknown ~

This is the way it is. Many of my distant relatives were and may still be breed by human animals for dog fighting. Inbreeding to bring out the worst and mean agressive traits were/are common. Since the big crack-down on dog fighting things for us have gotten a little better. BUT, laws are laws and responsible dog owners owe it to us to be aware of them no matter how stupid they may be. Even I have to admit some of those problems due to inbreeding crop up. With me it's my eyes, heart, and joints. Some of my cousins might have got the mean stuff which might not be obvious at first.

I think my cousin's owners should be given the option of getting him out of town to somewhere not so anti Pit or a farm or ???????....

LOL ( lots of licks ) Titan

jsw_portrait.jpg

A pitbull is the one dog that can inflict the most damage in the shortest time....

Really? How do ya figure?
It's obvious you are talking out your ***. A Doberman, for instance, was bread as an attack and guard dog against people. They are physically designed to attack people. The tips of their front teeth are designed so that they are able to bite, tear and shred flesh. They can bite a fairly flat surface, like the side of your leg, while only opening their mouth a 1/2 inch.

Pit Bulls were originally bred as the butchers dog. He would both protect the butcher and entertain the crowd. The butcher would put on a show with the dog wrestling a bull down to the ground and then sell his meats. They were never bred to be human aggressive and actually generally love people.

If it's ok to have doggie racism, why not apply that logic to humans? Because it's wrong and it's wrong for dogs too but the owners were just as stupid as the a-holes that came up with this law.:angry7:

allie saids that law sucks and she does want changed i love my kids i will die for them. plus i like buddy too. don,t hate on me.

20090924_111.jpg

P1011371.jpg

P1011420.jpg

P1011463.jpg

I love these pictures! I stole them from you guys and saved them. I hope Barge and als don't mind.

Every dog was bred for a specific purpose. The problem arises when inbreeding for agressiveness like barge mentioned, the doby traits that Dave mentioned and traits like what Rotties were bred for combine with owners that don't have a clue how to manage them. Too many people buy dogs for the looks and for the "style" of dog. Just because someone can afford a Viper or a Ram 3500 doesn't mean they have the skill to drive one. A "dimwit non-driver" as I like to call them can get in a heap of trouble very quickly with one of these vehicles. Same goes for people with larger dogs, including big Labs.

For example, Rotts were bred originally by the Romans to lead the troops in battle and root out the enemy. Eventually some Romans lost or left their dogs in what is now Germany and the Germans thought this would be a great dog to haul carts full of meat and protect their assets (the butchers used to tie their daily cache of coins around their neck on the way home. It also explains the tradition of docking the tail so it wouldn't get caught up in the wheels). The Germans also bred the herding ability into them.

What he have today is a very able, smart, protective although generally short lived Rott that has a bite pressure that far exceeds that of even a Pittbull. Enter ignorant owners and now we have insurance companies that won't even insure a homeowner if they have a Rottwieler. It's total BS and we have only the idiots to blame.

BTW, I snuck a pic of Merlin in there. :)

als's dog.jpg

Barge's Dog.jpg

IMG_1015BadAss_1.jpg

***UPDATE***

The wife works for the news network covering this,says they have petitioned it all day and the dog is still alive.I dont think the owners should be able to keep it under the circumstances but i still dont want to see it die for no reason other than owner neglect.Theres a ton of members on this site,anything we can do to help prevent this?

My terrible two say let him free to a good home.

dolly.jpg

***UPDATE***

The wife works for the news network covering this,says they have petitioned it all day and the dog is still alive.I dont think the owners should be able to keep it under the circumstances but i still dont want to see it die for no reason other than owner neglect.Theres a ton of members on this site,anything we can do to help prevent this?

My terrible two say let him free to a good home.

8) :thumbup: Great idea. I can't take him, but I hope someone else can. My lil 10# pup plays daily with the sweetest, cutest 50# pitbull. I need to get a picture of them playing :-D

Punish or fine the owners for the violations, not the dog.....Jeez, what are they thinking. :angry7:

Really ,,how do YOU figure...I dont give a crap what they intentionally were bred for..Talking out your ***,,,thats the past.They are the most loved dogs by there owners of course. Weve had alot of pitbull attacks here in Alaska, even some biting there own owners or running loose and getting into others yards and attacking dogs. Alot of Pit owners get them as a status or as a way of saying im as tough as my dog is...whatever.. And Yes ,,its your responsiblility to keep YOUR dog in YOUR yard Secured.. and if its a repeat offender of getting loose ,,it gets it and good from me. Ive been bit before, had pits come at me and even drew down on them with my gun. Neighbors had rotty and dobies too that would come at you. One day they got in my fenced front yard . I grabbed the nearest shovel and chased them around the trees in the front yard ,till they cried cause they couldnt get out..Never hit them once..Pussy dogs..KEEP YOUR DOGS IN YOUR YARD AND QUIET...Besides a Lab retriever is the only good dog out there...heh heh.

Go Fish,,does that bother you because your a irresponsible owner who really doesnt love there dog or cat and lets them run out the front door or around the neighborhood so they can get ran over or hurt. So dont be a moron.

-
Back