Dog Separation issues.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I adopted a Boxer 1 week ago.He is doing great.He is getting along with our other dog and cat, and is just a loving playful guy.He however is having some separation issues when I leave to work or if I am gone a hour or two.When the Wife and I are gone we lock him up in our laundry room with a baby gate.We have been locking him up for a hour or so a day while we are home.He does not like to be locked up at all.I know he was in the shelter for 5 months so it will take a while.Do you Guys and gals have any tips?

Thanks,Jim

Attachments

• tuck.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 267
It may take a little time for him. I would have plenty of toys for him as well as a bed which you probable are doing. Mayby have him sleep there as well so he thinks of it as a safety zone rather then a negative thing. Beautiful boxer, we adopted one last year who had some issues at first but is fine now. I would crate him at first, which he hated, but once I could leave him out in the house without tearing stuff up all has been good.

I would definitely suggest using a crate. The crate seems to be misunderstood by a lot of people, they think it is cruel to a dog, but dogs are den animals and prefer to sleep in small dark spaces. My two dogs have both been crate trained and used to sleep in them every night. It helped greatly with house training them too. They both love the crate very much and use it as their relaxing spot. Now they sleep in them by choice since the crate door is always wide open.

The key is to introduce them to it in short intervals, and build it up. Don't expect the dog to like it the first time when they get put in. My rescue pup screamed bloody murder for the first 10 minutes, but don't give in. After 10 minutes she settled in and has loved her crate ever since.

Having a dog that is crate trained is also great if you ever have to bring them on a flight, take an overnight ferry or if they need to spend some overnight visits at the vet. Good luck

Ditto on crate training. Also, do not make a fuss over the dog when you are going out, and do not pay any attention to the dog when you return, until he calms down.

Separation anxiety is often caused by a dog that doesn't understand their role in the pack. YOU must be the alpha, and the dog needs to understand that they don't need to worry about you. Imagine you had a child who left and you didn't know where he went and you weren't there to protect him. You'd be frantic. That's the way your dog feels.

You can also get your dog accustomed to you leaving with some practice. Go through your normal routine before leaving the house, and while ignoring your dog, go out and after a couple of minutes, come back in. Continue to ignore the dog until he calms down, and then you can give him attention. Do this 5 or 10 times each day until he becomes desensitized to the process of you leaving. It's a little work, but well worth the effort.

Good luck!

Glad to hear that you found another Boxer.

He is still new, and will take some time to "break in". You just can't lube him and run him for 45 minutes like a new cam....

I have thought of the crate.This is what I had to do with my terrier.

Thanks,Guys

Crate. One of our Coonhounds can not live without it. If we shut the door on it he will go over & mess with it to get it open. He very rarely goes in it anymore, he just like knowing it is there....if he gets on Ernies nerves she just tells him to go into his box and he walks in, lays down & takes a nap....

Yep, crate. Crate training rocks. Also, think about leaving a non-laundered shirt with him when you leave, chances are you'll find him all curled up on it when you get home. :)

At night or when it's to hot or cold out side Buddy knows where to go, But he was in a create with a T-shirt of mine wrapped around a soft pillow to lay on.
These animals love us and wants to be with us all the time, If I am in the house and he wants to come in I hook a 3 foot short leash on Buddy and he stays cool and relaxes at my feet or under the pool table.
I leave the door open on the create when I have it set up and find him in it, But like I said he was raised on a leash and in a create from 8 weeks old and it's like home. being in a closed up small room would drive him or me crazy :blob:. They like to be able to see outside so put his create so he can if possible :glasses7: But he likes his home outside at 2 years old.
He has a 70 foot run for the day time and his 10x10 at night, he loves the folks and children but to ruff for the grandchildren at 2 years old :D So he enjoyers being outside as much as inside

Attachments

• Ramcharger 1985 is alive 056.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 196
  • Picture 222 108.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 186
  • Picture 222 131.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Picture 222 080.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Spring%202011%20193.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 186
Yep, do the t shirt trick or even an old coat of yours. Something with your smell on it. Good luck with the dog.
Small Block

At night or when it's to hot or cold out side Buddy knows where to go, But he was in a create with a T-shirt of mine wrapped around a soft pillow to lay on.
These animals love us and wants to be with us all the time, If I am in the house and he wants to come in I hook a 3 foot short leash on Buddy and he stays cool and relaxes at my feet or under the pool table.
I leave the door open on the create when I have it set up and find him in it, But like I said he was raised on a leash and in a create from 8 weeks old and it's like home. being in a closed up small room would drive him or me crazy :blob:. They like to be able to see outside so put his create so he can if possible :glasses7: But he likes his home outside at 2 years old.
He has a 70 foot run for the day time and his 10x10 at night, he loves the folks and children but to ruff for the grandchildren at 2 years old :D So he enjoyers being outside as much as inside

Mike knows.....

Yep, do the t shirt trick or even an old coat of yours. Something with your smell on it. Good luck with the dog.
Small Block

'Zactly! Puppies do well with a an old wind up tick-tock clock wrapped up in a shirt that smells like you.... reminds them of their mothers heartbeat but puts your smell in their head. My trick is to sniff them on the top of their head when young... they super respond and never forget. Yes, it sounds odd but it lets them know that they are accepted into the pack.

Oh man... I think I'm turning into a canine.....:D

Memike I would be careful about showing your moonshine still you have on the internet like that.

Attachments

• Picture 222 080.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 176
I have made a few changes and its working out pretty good.His anxiety levels are way down.

Thanks Again,Jim

His anxiety issues are pretty much gone now.

Thanks Everyone.

Attachments

• Otis 046.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Otis 047.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Otis 049.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Otis 054.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 128
He did great for two weeks now for the last week for some reason his issues are back.So I started crate training this weekend.

Jim

Keep trying. Eventually you will find something that will work. A little extra crate time will do him good. Good luck. Keep us posted.

-
Back