Doing a 4-speed this winter...

-

plum360415

Reaction score
Im looking for parts to convert my Duster from 727 to 4-sp... Looking to see if any one has a pedal assy for a 75 Duster, Z-bar, ect... I have a 4-sp trans from a 68 383 gts dart, has about 27K on the trans... been sitting in a car since 78, I will go thru it, It should be good for my Indy engine, small blk 415, probley around 600hp at the flywheel... This OEM 4-sp should hold up in a 3200 pound car...right?? It will see drag strip time about 5-8 times a year, with the 727 the best it ran was 10.71@126... What you all think???? Should I go with the trans I have...(I have a 4-sp trans from a 383 gts dart) Or look for something else.
Thanks....

i have a pedal assmbly, but i don't know what year it is from, it has been kicking around the garage now for 20 years or so.......anybody know if all pedal assemblies are created equal??

the 23 spline should probably hold up for a while in a light car, i think your gonna have a hard time beating the auto unless you go with a proshifted or faceplated trans.

watch e bay. i just bought a nice set of pedals for 108$ and 26$ for a z bar if your patient you can get them in that range or better

i sent you a pm

Thanks... I will keep it in mind.

As for the other replies thanks... Duster is still running good with the 727, Im racing at Cordova dragway...link http://www.cordovadrag.com/ this weekend at the World series of drag racing.. Good times... Its the oldest drag race in the USA... ! year older than the US nat's in Indy.
This will be a winter project, I wont be buying anything till later this fall.

My understanding... is the diff between a Hemi 4-sp and a non Hemi, is the input splines.. Is that right?? If not skool me on this... Im not a newbe to Hemi cars.. Nor a kid, Im 35, Thats me filming the vid...lol lil Father/son time if you will.... My dad has an OEM 67 Hemi Charger #118 of 118, He bought it in 1969, June 1st on his 21st b-day,paid $2000 for it... He is 61 now, the OEM 4-sp was broken in about 1970ish.. Its had the 23 spline in it since sept of 1970, Back then it was a race car, now its restored to OEM... It has lil pizza cutter tires on it.. Oem tires.. They are like 6" wide... Ohh ya... Dyna 60 rear axle with 3.54 gears.. Thats why he peddled 1st so long.....
Lil vid of dads car last month...remember this is a 61 year old kid....lol This is what I want to do to my Duster... Right knee locked, kick the clutch...well watch the vid.....its like muscle car ****....

[youtube]6D-AMVChm9w[/youtube]

Great Video. Looks like a wild ride. Thanks for posting it. Good Luck with the 4 speed.

the gears in the hemi box are bushed, i think there are a few other things different also but im no expert. i drive the same way as your dad, just bump the clutch keep the gas matted shift a 7G. i think if you go out and drive a stock 23 spline box like that in a 10 sec car though with slicks you'll probably be picking up pieces. don't know what kind of budget your on but a Jerico DR-4 is the way to go. thats what i want to put in my car if i ever scrape together enuff cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekGdFvMnsqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEMag8OJs_E

Thanks... I will keep it in mind.

As for the other replies thanks... Duster is still running good with the 727, Im racing at Cordova dragway...link http://www.cordovadrag.com/ this weekend at the World series of drag racing.. Good times... Its the oldest drag race in the USA... ! year older than the US nat's in Indy.
This will be a winter project, I wont be buying anything till later this fall.

My understanding... is the diff between a Hemi 4-sp and a non Hemi, is the input splines.. Is that right?? If not skool me on this... Im not a newbe to Hemi cars.. Nor a kid, Im 35, Thats me filming the vid...lol lil Father/son time if you will.... My dad has an OEM 67 Hemi Charger #118 of 118, He bought it in 1969, June 1st on his 21st b-day,paid $2000 for it... He is 61 now, the OEM 4-sp was broken in about 1970ish.. Its had the 23 spline in it since sept of 1970, Back then it was a race car, now its restored to OEM... It has lil pizza cutter tires on it.. Oem tires.. They are like 6" wide... Ohh ya... Dyna 60 rear axle with 3.54 gears.. Thats why he peddled 1st so long.....
Lil vid of dads car last month...remember this is a 61 year old kid....lol This is what I want to do to my Duster... Right knee locked, kick the clutch...well watch the vid.....its like muscle car ****....

[youtube]6D-AMVChm9w[/youtube]

I know this is written around the /6 but if I remember correctly it talks about the hemi a833 as well
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

i was over at my dad's this morning and he showed me some 23 spline parts next to the 18 spline. the 18 spline gears have quite a bit more meat on them, they also have a different pitch thats stronger. guess thats why the 18 splines have gear noise and 23's are quiet. if you put the inputs next to each other the 18 splines diameter is way larger all the way down to 4 gear. wish i had my camera with me, you can defiantly see the differences with the parts next to each other.

Someone will always come around and say that they have a 23-spline behind a 700 hp Hemi, and race it with slicks all day long. Sure. The truth is a 23-spline will not hold up for long in a race car with any kind of power and sticky tires. I would NEVER trash a good 23-spline purposely... Drag racing with a 4-speed is spendy and requires alot of parts. Not just one good transmission. I've got 4 and a roll away full of gears including extra 18 spline cluster gears that cost as much as an entire 23-spline tranny, each.
The 18 spline gears are beefier, they are bushed, they have a coarser pitch, and they are further heat treated. 18-splines are the only way to go unless you move into an aftermarket 4-speed. That would be my recommendation.
"67 up pedals will work, but the assemblies are different after '71. Same clutch pedal, but the brake pedal is different.

don't know what kind of budget your on but a Jerico DR-4 is the way to go. thats what i want to put in my car if i ever scrape together enuff cash.

Im in the planning stage of this... the Jerico DR-4 looks like what I should do. I see from Jerico's web site they start at about 4K...Any one know of a place that has cheaper, maybe rebiult ones???? I agree with the other guy, that I do not want to trash a good low mile 23 spline tranny.. Any one here have a Jerico DR-4??? If so what kind of hp are you putting to it?? My Duster has an est about 600 at the fly wheel... car is 3200 with me in it, has ran the best on a cold day(low 60's) on a very well preped track, at 10.72@126 with the 727 that has a 5K stall and 4.30 gears... best 60' with the 727 has been 1.61... the 727 never has been quick on the 60' foot times... last weekend it ran the best of [email protected] in mid 70's temps... Any input will be considered...... Thanks....

Im in the planning stage of this... the Jerico DR-4 looks like what I should do. I see from Jerico's web site they start at about 4K...Any one know of a place that has cheaper, maybe rebiult ones???? I agree with the other guy, that I do not want to trash a good low mile 23 spline tranny.. Any one here have a Jerico DR-4??? If so what kind of hp are you putting to it?? My Duster has an est about 600 at the fly wheel... car is 3200 with me in it, has ran the best on a cold day(low 60's) on a very well preped track, at 10.72@126 with the 727 that has a 5K stall and 4.30 gears... best 60' with the 727 has been 1.61... the 727 never has been quick on the 60' foot times... last weekend it ran the best of [email protected] in mid 70's temps... Any input will be considered...... Thanks....

check moparts, there's a few guys over there running them. i know ronnie sox and bob reed were running jerico's in that last set of cuda's they would match race. both those cars were way down in the nines. i know the clutch is also a big thing, alot of guys run the McCloud Soft Loc. also i found this place and would probably give them a call for my next clutch www.[B]advancedclutches.com [/B]

http://www.keislerauto.com/index.php?/mopar/mopar-parts-and-accessories/pedal-kits.html

Brand spankin' new for $345.95. TKO-600 Tremec 5-speed overdrive complete kits for around $3900.00. You can run tall gears on the street and overdrive for cruising. 1.00 4th and 0.64 5th gear.

New kit on Ebay $3395.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Keis...22ffae459d&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245#ht_833wt_926

your not gonna run 10's sec's on a TKO 600 for long unless you spend another 1500-2000 dollars on it at liberty's. also you can't powershift them things for nothing. alot of people experiance gear lock out, tremec has a few issues they need to resolve. i've done alot of home work on going fast with stick shifts. Jerico or G-force in the way to go. but i think for mopar installation the Jerico is way easier.

my 4-speed project.. is on hold..... I have a line on a very rare 68 Dart GTS 383 4-speed car thats been sitting since 1976....OEM engine was pulled in '76 been sitting since then...this dart has 27k on the odo.... the 383 engine is long gone, the rest of the car is all there.. may have a few pics by the end of the weekend.....

-
Back