Don’t modify the exhaust on your mopar

-
Haha 36k to replace the engine. Hellcat crate is around 17k, and Geez 20k in labor also. I’d never own a new dodge

When I was selling new cars, we did a lot of high performance stuff. I always made clear to customers that the manufacturer could void the warranty if they determined the modification contributed to the need for a repair. In other words, with my manufacturer, if you installed an exhaust and your brakes failed you were likely in the clear. If you installed an exhaust and it melted a brake line and that is why they failed then you were SOL.

At least once a year someone tried to get warranty repair from the factory for an aftermarket part they installed. Hilarity generally ensued. "What do you mean you won't warranty this aftermarket supercharger? I'm going to social media!"

From the article, the manufacturer has a different story:

"He says the mid-muffler and entire emissions system are stock. But this is where things start to get confusing. You see, Dodge says this isn’t about the mid-muffler. Dodge says, “The warranty claim was rejected after a Stellantis Calibration Engineer ran Powertrain Control Module (PCM) diagnostics and confirmed that the vehicle’s PCM was tampered with and contained non-factory software.” A spokesperson added, “I haven’t seen anything on our end regarding mufflers (ie not the issue).”"

Anyhow, it sounds to me like the dealer is looking for any excuse to avoid providing repairs (typical). Hope their attorney is familiar with Magnuson-Moss. But if the owner reflashed the ECU with an aftermarket tune, he's probably SOL...

DrCharles nailed it... Decline warranty for modified exhaust & you'll lose that battle in court due to Magnuson-Moss....

Reflash the ECU & all bets are off...

If I was Dodge, on any Hellcat ..... I would lower the price some (warranty average is fixed into the price of every car sold) and sell every car with no powertrain warranty or any electrical component that controls the powertrain. That would end this stuff. "Buy and modify away, our hands are washed clean"!

The owner didn't modify that car. Dodge (Stellantis) did. The owner chose the mid muffler delete option when he ordered the car. Said so right in the article.

The owner didn't modify that car. Dodge (Stellantis) did. The owner chose the mid muffler delete option when he ordered the car. Said so right in the article.
But it also says the mid muffler delete isn't why the claim is being rejected...

He says the mid-muffler and entire emissions system are stock. But this is where things start to get confusing. You see, Dodge says this isn’t about the mid-muffler. Dodge says, “The warranty claim was rejected after a Stellantis Calibration Engineer ran Powertrain Control Module (PCM) diagnostics and confirmed that the vehicle’s PCM was tampered with and contained non-factory software.” A spokesperson added, “I haven’t seen anything on our end regarding mufflers (ie not the issue).”

Today I saw another article on this issue... apparently when reflashed, the ECU writes a tamper code to the body control module (which I guess the tuner didn't know about, or care). Anyway the car owner went as high as VP level and was shut down every time, so now he's pulled his posts and disappeared.

Today I saw another article on this issue... apparently when reflashed, the ECU writes a tamper code to the body control module (which I guess the tuner didn't know about, or care). Anyway the car owner went as high as VP level and was shut down every time, so now he's pulled his posts and disappeared.

Damn, that guy gets sued a lot. Mainly by employees of his strip joint, the grammatically incorrectly named "Babe's South" (next door to Christian Family Funeral, right across the street from Eden Cabaret in bucolic Pensacola, FL)

Damn, that guy gets sued a lot. Mainly by employees of his strip joint, the grammatically incorrectly named "Babe's South" (next door to Christian Family Funeral, right across the street from Eden Cabaret in bucolic Pensacola, FL)

LOL sounds like a real model citizen. Then again it is Florida..?..?

-
Back