donor for 15x7 wheels?

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Switching to LBP, looking to swap to 15x7 wheels while I'm at it. Two questions:
1. What donor vehicles might have 15x7 steel wheels? I've heard Dodge pickup pre-1985 or M-body (though Allpar says M-bodies had 15x5.5 or 15x6).
2. Is it possible to keep my factory wheel covers (see my profile pic) by buying some kind of insert? What would that be called?

83-89 5th Ave (M body) came with 15x7, but be careful, as IIRC the spare is 15x6 and it's somewhat hard to find one with a full set of 15x7 due to people not noticing the spare is different during rotation, or using another wheel...

Other M body cars- Diplomat, Fury, etc had 15x6 but IIRC 15x7 was an option esp on wagons. You may need to make a wheel caliper- I made one out of cardboard, patterned after the ones that come with balancers.

Around here they are $10-$15 if the have a "bad tire" or $25-$40 if they have a "good tire".

Jeeps!!! If you're ok with aluminum wheels, anyway. Not sure about jeep steel wheels, though.

For steels, I think I'd rather spend the coin and get new, never molested steel wheels.

Your Dart has 14" wheels so the wheel covers will not fit a 15" wheel.

83-89 5th Ave (M body) came with 15x7, but be careful, as IIRC the spare is 15x6

Good info, and nice tip on the spare. My local parts yard says the early Dakota came with 15x6 as well.

KosmicKuda said:
Your Dart has 14" wheels so the wheel covers will not fit a 15" wheel.

Right. I was just wondering if there's some kind of adapter you can use. If not, I'll have to
1) settle for dog dish caps,
2) use 14" wheels, or
3) try to find some aftermarket OE-style 15" wheels that will accept the 14" covers.

watch the backspace on the Dakota wheels... I believe they have a deeper backspace, possibly..... When I put cop wheels on my Shelby Dakota for the winter years ago when it was my only driver, they didn't sit back as far.

-
Back