dont fail to notify dmv of non op.

-

bad440

everything,all the time..
Reaction score
went and registered the car today,it;s been 3 years since it was registered.fees were 518.00 and change.when i bought the car the fees were 43.00 a year. i figurered 300-350 but no 518.00 what a scam

Damn, all they are wantin you to do is scrap the car. That's stupid. But that's Kalifornica.

Not just California. I have residency in New York and Connecticut. In NY, I can buy a builder and have no problem paying sales tax on, say, $500.
In CT, it does not matter what you paid for the car, they charge you sales tax on book value. So if you buy a car with a blown motor, so what they say.

I bought a 63 Corvette in 1978 for $3,800 and have a notarized bill of sale from a Massachusetts dealer. Had I registered the car in 1978, would have paid sales tax on purchase price, no problem, even if book value was higher.

If I now want to register the car (world's longest frame off resto, still not done), the humps want me to pay sales tax on current value, $58,000 and then apply for a refund, which I am told almost is never granted. Fat chance I will ever register that car in CT.

And, btw, CT is a property tax state. You pay tax on all your registered vehicles every year. My 72 Corvette only costs me about $250/yr, probably only because they have not figured it's real value.

Give them time, they will figure it out, and screw every classic car owner, first chance they get. Most government agencies are broke and they want us as their companions in financial ruin.

Don't know if NY will honor the $3,800 bill of sale, but will find out at some point.

Anyone out there know a more reasonable state for a situation like this?

I got some of those.

I'll tow my cars to AZ and get a title there. then drag them back if I want to drive on the street.

The CA DMV with that deal is such a scam. Doesn't matter if it was parked in a backyard never on the street. They ASSUME it's been in use without registration. I asked if they wanted the plates back on one of my cars that's sitting, they didn't want them. I took them in and gave them to a manager behind the counter with a statement of "stop asking for registration on the car..." Haven't got a notice since. I'll pay for new plates when the time comes I guess.

I live in Ohio, I bought my 73 Duster in Missouri last year. I drove it up to BMV and they walked out checked the VIN against the title, then $20.00 for the title change, and tax on the bill of sale.. Here it only costs to register the vehicle and tags.. even if you don't for any length of time the most they ask for is to "inspect" and if it runs looks descent get your tags and leave.. I hope they never do what everyone else is talking about, that would suck..

I can add WV
WV is a all vehicles are property tax also, you pay about 1% of NADA value per year.
They include everything with a title, 4-wheelers, off road dirt bikes, trailers, campers.
About everything taxed here, your property, house, dog, cat, etc.
But we have good schools, roads, and the state has been in the GREEN for many years.
I found it is best to title any vehicle within a couple of weeks of purchase, this way you provide pictures of as purchased, not restored, and they keep the taxes the same, actually depreciating them as time goes on.

I can add WV
WV is a all vehicles are property tax also, you pay about 1% of NADA value per year.
They include everything with a title, 4-wheelers, off road dirt bikes, trailers, campers.
About everything taxed here, your property, house, dog, cat, etc.
But we have good schools, roads, and the state has been in the GREEN for many years.
I found it is best to title any vehicle within a couple of weeks of purchase, this way you provide pictures of as purchased, not restored, and they keep the taxes the same, actually depreciating them as time goes on.

Hats off to WV for not being broke. Makes me wonder how many other states are in the Green? And if they are car friendly states, run by what political party, income tax, etc.

That sucks. It would have only cost about $8 to non-op the car. At least thats how much I had to pay about 5 years ago to non-op my truck when I lived in CA. Thats one of the main reasons I wouldn't buy a car without current tags or proof of non-op status.

What's the route for coming out of non-op? Or, wouldn't it have been less expensive to just pay the registration every year?

What's the route for coming out of non-op? Or, wouldn't it have been less expensive to just pay the registration every year?

Pretty easy, just go down to the DMV with your registration and insurance then pay for that years tags.

in PA once the title is in your name, thats it. if you want to register it just show proof of insurance (of course in philadelphia we have the highest car insurance rates in the country)

Yep, Kalifornios get ready to get taxed to death to pay for the ca debt. Gov. Jerry wants to reduce Police, Fire and Schools but seems to have forgotten about the illiegals in the schools and the entitlement people legal and illegal. Heres hoping to move to AZ.(SpeedWorld) SOON!!!!!!

The best part about my deal with them was the CA DMV sent me a letter saying my registration was suspended for no insurance, race car not street driven. Then sent me a renewal and late fee notices. That's why I took the plates in.

Not just California. I have residency in New York and Connecticut. In NY, I can buy a builder and have no problem paying sales tax on, say, $500.
In CT, it does not matter what you paid for the car, they charge you sales tax on book value. So if you buy a car with a blown motor, so what they say.

I bought a 63 Corvette in 1978 for $3,800 and have a notarized bill of sale from a Massachusetts dealer. Had I registered the car in 1978, would have paid sales tax on purchase price, no problem, even if book value was higher.

If I now want to register the car (world's longest frame off resto, still not done), the humps want me to pay sales tax on current value, $58,000 and then apply for a refund, which I am told almost is never granted. Fat chance I will ever register that car in CT.

And, btw, CT is a property tax state. You pay tax on all your registered vehicles every year. My 72 Corvette only costs me about $250/yr, probably only because they have not figured it's real value.

Give them time, they will figure it out, and screw every classic car owner, first chance they get. Most government agencies are broke and they want us as their companions in financial ruin.

Don't know if NY will honor the $3,800 bill of sale, but will find out at some point.

Anyone out there know a more reasonable state for a situation like this?
There was a question about this tax issue in the last few years with some towns wanting to use a different formula. Middletown did do that and some of the guys I know decided to skip their Main Street show because of it. After some discussion the state said that all antique autos would be taxed on a flat $500 rate. Because of that state statute I later found out that Middletown only did that for one year. I'm not sure if they had to refund the difference or not. And that's the rate I've ever had to pay for any of my cars. Also when I registered my '65 Formula "S" last fall they taxed it on the amount stated on the bill of sale. There was no discussion about basing the tax on any other book value.

Cheaper to non op if your not going to be driving it for a few years. Then all you have to do when you are ready to drive it again is register and insure it.

-
Back