Dont laugh

-
burn.jpg

Back when I was 20 I was welding at a production welding shop (GSI) and we had a new guy (in his 30's) start on. On his 2nd or 3rd day he was paired with me as we were to weld out a piece that required a guy welding inside and another outside. It was a collar that beams bolted to at the top of a grain bin. And to top things off it was all galvanized, so it was reflective as well.

He said he would weld the inside and climbed in wearing just a tank top!! I stopped him and said he should probably put on a jacket or sleeves or something. He just brushed it off and said he's done things like that before.

Needless to say, he didn't show up for like a week after that and when he did, his shoulders were nearly black and were all bandaged up. He quit a few days later.

Wanna try something really cool? Do some welding with poly/cotten blend pants on. Let me know what happens when the sparks hit your legs.

Many times. What happens is...nothing. (Flame-retardant fabric is a wonderful thing.)

btw, I only allow our welders to where 100 cotton clothing. Why, it's doesn't melt to your skin when it gets burn holes in it. ;)

Last (and I mean LAST) time I welded in jeans, a spark set the damn things on fire! No, back to the work pants! (Honestly, I don't think I own jeans anymore.)

...also, depending on the welding job, welding apron, or chaps, or jacket, or sleeves are all available for the guys to wear.

Being safe isn't kewl... On the other hand, it is pretty smart and it sure as hell doesn't hurt .

Yeah, I wear welding gear when I weld.

that's how I stay tan in the winter. I keep trying to convince my wife to come work on the car instead of going to the tanning bed but she won't do it. I'll bet she thinks she's gonna be able to ride in it when it's done also!!

i was doing some overhead welding one time and a ball of slag fell behind my helmet and landed in the corner of my eye. your reaction is to squint. well it burned the hell out of my tear duct. my eye watered and seeped nasty puss for over a week. it was like a constant dripping faucet.

i was doing some overhead welding one time and a ball of slag fell behind my helmet and landed in the corner of my eye. your reaction is to squint. well it burned the hell out of my tear duct. my eye watered and seeped nasty puss for over a week. it was like a constant dripping faucet.

Real welders don't create slag!!

JUST KIDDING I'M THE WORST WELDER IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back