Don't see this everyday.

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Haven't open a thread in a while, but I saw this today.
I had heard they would do 60 MPH.
But backwards?

IMAG0139 (Small).jpg

IMAG0140 (Small).jpg

IMAG0141 (Small).jpg

IMAG0142 (Small).jpg

I wonder where is was headed. I was at Fort Indiantown gap a couple weeks ago and they had a bunch there.

Wonder what powers that thing? When I was a kid there was a tank in the park that was powered by a 30 cylinder Chrysler engine.

Wonder what powers that thing? When I was a kid there was a tank in the park that was powered by a 30 cylinder Chrysler engine.
I know a lot of tanks also used the bigger Detroit Diesels. Then again I know next to nil about tanks and I don't really know diesels too well either.

Propulsion

The M1 is equipped with a Honeywell AGT 1500 gas turbine engine. The Allison X-1100-3B transmission provides four forward and two reverse gears.

The US Army has selected Honeywell International Engines and Systems and General Electric to develop a new LV100-5 gas turbine engine for the M1A2. The new engine is lighter and smaller with rapid acceleration, quieter running and no visible exhaust.

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

That is a M109A6 Paladin, aka the Howitzer. That is what i used to drive for the past 8 years in the Army. It wont do 60 Mph, they are rated at 38 , I think I may have got one up to 41mph on a downhill. They have a massive detroit deisel, auto trans. I have tried to get one stuck before to no avail. They shoot a 155mm round up to 18k.

They are powered by an aircraft engine. Can fire on the move.
Yes, it does 60 mph+. And weighs in at close to 60 tons. Has a
105MM main gun and 2 50 cal. machine guns. Don't know what
it will do on the battlefield because it's closest match is one of
our allies.
Bill

people in Iraq see them every day. I'm afraid iranians will be seeing them daily too.

I don't know that I should give a location. Is that "spying"?

But seriously, the news media should be convicted of aiding the enemy sometimes.
That's as "political" as I should get here. (wink)

I see them everyday around Jacksonville as they ship all kinds of military stuff out of here. And I can get within 10 feet of them at the port.

the loudness depends on the propelant charge used, even with the smallest charge, they will blow yer eardrums, and make clear fluid leak out. Do a search on youtube for m109a6 paladin, you see all you need. They really are awesome. Known as the king of battle

Mine is only a "one owe five". :-(

But at least it is brass.

This is rifled gun then?
The M1A will have a smaller smooth bore, but higher velocity gun.
Don't stand in front of either one.

Picture 015 (Small).jpg

The howitzer and the M1A1 (Abrams) are both rifled bore. the M1 is a diretct battle tank, vs. the Paladin being indirect fire. The Abrams is a bad dude, I have seen the drive completely through buildings, its awesome.

-
Back