DONT TAKE SHORTCUTS, please

-
I once let the smoke outa my wires too:tard:
In a rush to test out my freshly rebuilt 340.
I run a new circut off the relay, inside to a toggle, to power an electric choke. forgot to hook back up the wire to the choke.
Forgot to install a fuse:shock:
I fired the engine and watched in shocken horror as firey drips came from under the dash down to my newley installed carpet, and smoke rolling from under the hood. I quickly shut it off, still smoke rollin?.
Flew to the toolbox for a 1/2" wrench, and unhooked the battery ground.
Talk about a shaken man, I had visions of my car and my shop and house burning to the ground.
Obviously I revisited my choke schematic:-$
I really lucked out though. My cheap floormat caught all the molten drips,and a fresh coat of wax on my inner fenders and firewall, "thats right" wax, let me just wipe all that black smoke away with no evidence of smoke-letting :cool:

Woo hoo, pics of post carnage wireing

wires after the magic blue, and grey smoke has been released
IMAG0227.jpg

Console built around fusebox, WTF, i have to take it apart to get the fuse box out, or remove all the wires from what they are connected to.
IMAG0224.jpg

Hey great idea, lets run the harness right under the drivers foot where it can get stomped on and wet.
IMAG0223.jpg

old wires, not terminated, no idea what they were for, Sigh, some peoples kids
IMAG0226.jpg

Had to wire my friends Mustang twice because we did a bad job to get it ready for a road trip. Needless to say we took a lot of care with her the second time.

Closest I ever came with the duster was the thick starter power cable rubbing on the steering linkage. It rubbed through the rubber coating and was sparking out to the steering. That, and the previous owner had the coil hooked up backwards... Needless to say I gave anything that appeared recently modified a real good examination after I found that one out.

-
Back