Don't understand some folks......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
They will list there race car for sale and in the ad say was a 340 (or pick your muscle car motor) 4 speed car. Only thing that is still original is the roof and door jams. Car will either be back halved with a funny car cage or better yet be a full chrome moly chassis. So it WAS a desirable car, for the purists at one point. One of many things that I see often, on this site, rj, Ebay etc that just leaves me scratching my head and going "huh?". I realize that one could, if you were completely off your rocker, restore something like this back to it's original glory but....

i see that all the time Doug. especially with BB B bodies that have been hacked to death with only the dash left and maybe a fender tag advertised as an original rare BB car for obscene money. i think they use the cars original build status as some kind of selling point.

Back when these cars were new, alot of them were bought for racing. the dealership my dad managed sold 2 sixpack Superbee's and 2 Hemi Challengers to the same family all to be raced. They bought them to replace their max wedge cars and aluminum front end hemi cars.

Some people I don't even try and understand, it makes my head hurt, LOL.

I know a guy that took a 67 GTX 440 stick car that he bought brand new and cut it up to make a super gas car that he never completed. He still thinks that the car is super valuable even though there is not a lot left on the car that came from the factory!!

I know a guy that took a 67 GTX 440 stick car that he bought brand new and cut it up to make a super gas car that he never completed. He still thinks that the car is super valuable even though there is not a lot left on the car that came from the factory!!
Perfect example..

..............U have to remember that back in the day they were just a car, nothing special or valuable, lots around to do with as u pleased...........many had a very hard life being driven into the ground, litterely....it was race on sunday, buy on monday.......kim.........

..............U have to remember that back in the day they were just a car, nothing special or valuable, lots around to do with as u pleased...........many had a very hard life being driven into the ground, litterely....it was race on sunday, buy on monday.......kim.........
Very good point......but does not do much to make me scratch my head any less when I read "Was a 340/4 speed car now is a twin turbo ***, 25.5 cm cage, glass doors/fenders/hood/lexan windows etc.".......Does it really matter what it started out as??

Very good point......but does not do much to make me scratch my head any less when I read "Was a 340/4 speed car now is a twin turbo ***, 25.5 cm cage, glass doors/fenders/hood/lexan windows etc.".......Does it really matter what it started out as??

Only if it started out as a Nova....

yep me either. why not use a more mundane version of the same car to hack up into a race car. im redoing a 67 barracuda slant six no option notchback coupe. this was the elcheapo version for the guy who wanted the looks of a cool car but was too cheap to order it with anything other than a trip odometer, and a factory vacuum gage.

this car had no fender tag when i got it, nor did i care. i bought it for the body, and everything that was slant six related went to the scrap yard, including the diminutive drum brakes, 7&1/4" pegleg rear, k frame, small bolt pattern pizza cutter rims, the slanty 6, and tranny from it.

i am using the parts off a 74 dodge dart 4 door V8 sedan to help in its rebuild / resurrection. the better disc brakes with large bolt pattern, better spool type motor mounts off the 74 dart, the 318 will be bored and stroked. i have a nice A-833 4 speed thats going in. even have an 8&3/4 rear from a 67 newport i have to narrow to go in it.

im building it the way i want it. i want it to be a fun car. its not a valuable car if compared to a formula S , or factory big block car. so why not have fun with it.

i cant stand it when knuckle heads "hack up" a rare and valuable musclecar into a race car or pro street whatever leaving the vin plate and fender tag in place and then talk about their stuff being rare and such. these people are way misinformed, and have essentially ruined its value. it makes the ones that are left even more valuable.

build your fun car out of a base model. theres lots of slanty 6 dusters, demons, early barracudas, even dart sports left out there to modify and have fun with. leave the rare stuff to the restoration crowd. this is my opinion

laterz
matt

Hey, I got a factory original water pump bolt from a 68 340 4 speed car that I will let go for only $3000.00!!!

Buy now....

LOL!

I agree, I see a 340, 383, 440, GTS, or Formula S type "A" body ad and 9 times out of 10 I'm disappointed. If you have a rare car and it's missing almost everything that distinguishes it from a slant six car. I'm sorry it has no additional value to me.

I hate seeing original musclecars modifided and altered to...but heres a question for you. You have a vision of the perfect Duster street car. You want to install a 440, 4 speed, custom interior, fiberglass hood and custom paint. You look at a few slant 6 and 318 cars that are rusted away, hacked up and given up for dead. Then you come across an affordable 340 car with no motor but a rust free body...what do you do ?

I hate seeing original musclecars modifided and altered to...but heres a question for you. You have a vision of the perfect Duster street car. You want to install a 440, 4 speed, custom interior, fiberglass hood and custom paint. You look at a few slant 6 and 318 cars that are rusted away, hacked up and given up for dead. Then you come across an affordable 340 car with no motor but a rust free body...what do you do ?
THIS is exactly my point....so you found a 340 car......and the 340 is missing. So what it WAS a 340 car. You know what the chance is of you finding the right year 340 for it? Let me guess, the guy wants a small mint for it because it is a 340 car>

Well it is nice to know a cars history. Some race cars can have a cool history to them and it is kind of nice to know what it went through. But I don't see asking more for a car because of what motor it came with if it is way beyond ever going back to stock.

The more people I deal with, the more I like my dog....

-
Back