Door doesnt lock

-

bbmopars

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart the door on passenger comes right open when pullin on handle without pushing the button on door handle.nor can l get the door lock at all to move with key on lockin or unlockin door. I can push the rod down on top of door it doesn't lock at all.the lock doesn't move or something with when tryin with key.door lock is new along with handle

Last edited:
Anyone have a pic of the diagram or pic of inside a door?

Open the door and operate the latch and lock mechanism manually. That should give you an idea if the mechanism is working as it should. If it is, maybe just an adjustment or clean/lube is needed. That's where I would start.

Sounds like latch isnt rolling over. Could be a broken spring. Door panel has to come off no matter what, take it off and get pics.

Sounds like latch isnt rolling over. Could be a broken spring. Door panel has to come off no matter what, take it off and get pics.
I have the door panel off already.what pics do you need? Broken spring in what? Door handle possible or door latch assembly mechanism?

Post pics of the latch from inside and outside. Could be a rod not hooked up, but by it being able to be pulled open without pushing knob in, tells me the latch isnt "latching " onto post.
Go to mymopar.com and download factory manuals for your car. They're free.
I have the door panel off already.what pics do you need? Broken spring in what? Door handle possible or door latch assembly mechanism?

I have not messed with door lock / latch hardware much, but is there an adjustment on the push button part of the handle. If it was adjusted too far out it would be as if the button was constantly being depressed.

Maybe the wrong rod on the wrong post?

Last edited:
Maybe the striker needs to be adjusted out just a bit so the door latch latches.

You could be missing that plastic bushing or steal sleeve on the striker so it's not latching properly.

Just get the door panel off and start lookin. It's stones and bearskins how these things are put together.

Just get the door panel off and start lookin. It's stones and bearskins how these things are put together.

Yeah get a good light in there so you can see. Run the door latch with a screw driver, (like the door is closing) to make sure the latch works properly and the linkage rods are hooked up correctly.

I would think if latch is closed when u try to shut door that you would get a decent sized BANG outta it. It always did for me lol.

I would think if latch is closed when u try to shut door that you would get a decent sized BANG outta it. It always did for me lol.

Latch might be half cocked, and then not latching all the way when you close the door so it pulls open easy.

I have not messed with door lock / latch hardware much, but is there an adjustment on the push button part of the handle. If it was adjusted too far out it would be as if the button was constantly being depressed.

Maybe the wrong rod on the wrong post?
No adjustments on handle, BUT YA Can adjust the linkage, with an Allen head through the door side...

Here is a question we all missed.

Did the door shut and lock / latch correctly before the changes in parts?

Also let's get some terminology corrected

Latch = the door shuts and will not just pull open

Lock = the latched door will not open by pressing in on the thumb button on the outside handle

Yah it did got the door to stay latch now,you can use the button to open door now it wont open unless use button on door handle.had to adjust screws had in holes from door handle that s shape rods connects door latch mechanism.ball type stud connected originally broke.

Did the key work before?

Does the key turn the lock both directions?

-
Back