door glass chrome

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
on the 63-5 dart hardtop, that chrome stripe that atttaches to the side of the door glass, how do you remove it???? and how is it attached back? weatherstrip glue???? thanks

on the 63-5 dart hardtop, that chrome stripe that atttaches to the side of the door glass, how do you remove it???? and how is it attached back? weatherstrip glue???? thanks
I have the same question. Do you remember how you ended up removing it?

You tap it off with a block of wood, and it reattached with a product called "glass setting tape"! You fold it in 1/2 and stuff it in the channel, then tap the trim on the glass and cut off the excess!!

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG
Thanks, that makes sense! What about the piece of horizontal door trim right next to the glass, at the top edge of the door panel? How does that one come off?

View attachment 1715009294 Thanks, that makes sense! What about the piece of horizontal door trim right next to the glass, at the top edge of the door panel? How does that one come off?

If you can get the glass to go lower you will see how it is attached.
But if you can't get the glass lower and out of the way you need to remove it to change those strips.
Be careful, because with tempered glass all it takes is to chip the edge and the entire glass can shatter.

Thanks much! This gives me clear idea of how to proceed.

The chrome strip is held on with "wiggle clips", a spring type clip that pushes into the hole and expands on the other side! Just start at the door handle end with a small pry bar, I use a screwdriver with a bent end, and gently work it under the trim, using a piece of something like a wood shim to protect the door! It will "pop" at the clip when the springing action comes through the hole! Move on to every clip in line and do the same, it's gets easier with every clip!!

The chrome strip is held on with "wiggle clips", a spring type clip that pushes into the hole and expands on the other side! Just start at the door handle end with a small pry bar, I use a screwdriver with a bent end, and gently work it under the trim, using a piece of something like a wood shim to protect the door! It will "pop" at the clip when the springing action comes through the hole! Move on to every clip in line and do the same, it's gets easier with every clip!!
Perfect, thanks!

-
Back