Door Glass Felts

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I've located a 1972 dodge dart swinger. It's pretty clean, but it needs a paint job. Anyway I was checking out to see what's available for the weather stripping and I checked with 2 major restoration companies and I couldn't find the window felts ( do I have the correct name for them ). There's nothing listed after 1971,will the one's for a 1970 or a 1971 dart fit a 1972? Is there a company that has them for a '72 dart swinger? Also I don't have any idea of what the car is worth, they are asking 14k, is that to much? As best as I can tell by the photos the quarter panels, wheel wells are good. It's not far from me but we have bad weather coming our way so it might be next week before I can see it. If I can get it cheap enough and the frame rails and truck floor is good I'll buy it. Is there any special area to check for rust as it's a vinyl top car? I have a good friend that will paint it for me, I have to help with disability and prep work and reassembly but I don't mind a bit.

Every car is different. As far as value goes, you can post as many pictures as possible and maybe a few people can weigh in on what it "might" be worth.
With no pictures, no information on drivetrain or anything else, if it's an all original survivor or newer/older restoration... the car can be worth anything between $500 and $50,000

Every car is different. As far as value goes, you can post as many pictures as possible and maybe a few people can weigh in on what it "might" be worth.
With no pictures, no information on drivetrain or anything else, if it's an all original survivor or newer/older restoration... the car can be worth anything between $500 and $50,000
It's a stock 318/904. New photos, there's no headliner or bows, entire sunvisor assemblies are missing, no sail panels, no dome light. Carpet looks fair at best, seat covers look okay. I probably won't be able to see it until next week, but what I've seen from the photos it's no where worth 14k also it's been for sale for 2 months now.

Again, going by the photos the left front inner fender looks good which is a problem area for mopars for rust. Engine compartment looks as though the car has received little to no attention over the years so no telling what mechanical issues it may have. I'll have to go see it in person as soon as weather permits me to

Short of being some sort of a "special" car (highly optioned, rare color combo, big block car) for 14k I would expect a car that is overall a very good driver. Not perfect but also doesn't need anything to get up and go. I posted a link the other day of a nice little '69. It's not mine but I think it shows kind of what I am talking about.
Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/6XupyviUhnb
In today's market this might be considered above average for the price but based on the listing I would say it's fair.

Rock Auto lists the KIT for your car, 72 Dart, but they are out of stock. It's an 8-piece set for front doors, rear side glass, inner & outer. They are made by Metro, so you can go on their website to see what the cost is, or Rock Auto will contact you when they are available if you give them your e-mail address. Rock Auto has a lot of things for that car too. I use them for stuff quite a bit.

I'd check lower rear front fenders, Inner fender wells upper rear, lower quarter panels, rockers, front and rear windshield frames ,and torsion bar cross member for any rot start with. JMO
Me personally would look for a clean bodied slant six car (Cheaper) like that 69 posted above and convert to V8 so I know what I have and want for a drive train. Obviously your call. Just don't buy anything without seeing it in person. Again JMO

Look at every seam where two pieces of metal come together.
(Not an A body but you get the idea)

Screenshot_20220201-080558.png

This to me is the best tattletale of the rest of the cars condition. Rust at the seams equals hidden rust everywhere.

Vinyl top cars typically rust at the junction where the top ends and paint starts.

Floor boards front and rear, rocker,

If I was paying $14,000 for a car it better be 99.9% rust free, and 100% intact. The paint and upholstery can be warn out but all the pieces should be there and in place.

I have a one family 67 dart GT convertible 273 V8, KH front disk, 99.98% rust free, SoCal garaged car 100% intact and functional and I'm not sure I could get $15,000 for it.

Maybe prices have gone up in the last few years???

Last edited:
Which SBM engine uses “door glass felts”?
Anyone that you want too. No, seriously there isn't a section for what I was trying to find out, besides I thought that this site is intended for the helping others that are in our hobby of cars. Maybe you should start up a site that's for body and interior work.

No, seriously there isn't a section for what I was trying to find out
It took me this long to figure out what this was about....

Which SBM engine uses “door glass felts”?

I think a little playfully poking was all that was intended..

@Dan the man

Your question has many aspects.

On one hand it is a question about is the car worth some numbers of dollars.

On another hand it is looking for specific parts, Window felt (AKA cat whiskers)

The best place for this type of question is the Mopar General Questions.

A moderator can move it so the more playfully members will be happy.

On a side note why do we have catagories anyway.

I can count on one had the number of times I have used them to find anything....

But I digress and don't want to hijack the post

It took me this long to figure out what this was about....

I think a little playfully poking was all that was intended..

@Dan the man

Your question has many aspects.

On one hand it is a question about is the car worth some numbers of dollars.

On another hand it is looking for specific parts, Window felt (AKA cat whiskers)

The best place for this type of question is the Mopar General Questions.

A moderator can move it so the more playfully members will be happy.

On a side note why do we have catagories anyway.

I can count on one had the number of times I have used them to find anything....

But I digress and don't want to hijack the post
I'll try the general discussion section, thanks for the info. The research I've done and only going by the photos the dart is worth about 5k. But I'm still going to look at it in person.

Anyone that you want too. No, seriously there isn't a section for what I was trying to find out, besides I thought that this site is intended for the helping others that are in our hobby of cars. Maybe you should start up a site that's for body and interior work.

You don’t even need to sign in to another site:

Mopar Body and Trim

Mopar Interiors

-
Back