door glass help!!

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am almost at my wits end with a drivers side door glass. It's either a 67 or 69 door I am trying to get it out of. 68's had the lower vents and this one doesnt have it. Anyway the only thing that seems to be holding it is the front channel it rides up and down in. Regulator is out, but the channel that is attached to the bottom of the glass is still there. I can only get the window down but 2". There is plastic clips in the channel attached to the glass. I think they wrap around the glass. How do I get those little f'rs out????

Thanks
4spdragtop

You'll need to lift the vent window assembly out. The front edge of the glass has 2 little holes drilled through, a pin through the hole holds hard plastic runners and a piece of felt laminated plastic sheeting . All that inside the forward channel.

You'll need to lift the vent window assembly out. The front edge of the glass has 2 little holes drilled through, a pin through the hole holds hard plastic runners and a piece of felt laminated plastic sheeting . All that inside the forward channel.

The vent window is out, the small channel that it sits in, as well as the chrome piece that runs up on an angle and attaches to the large channel at the top. If I had a friggin set of torches Ida gutted the door skin!

How can I get to the rollers and the damned lam sheeting??:evil:

here is the glass & parts no regulator-- what do you still have in the door?

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 276
does your door still have the window fuzzies installed, they need to be gone, the glass will lift out the back edge of the door with the plastic pieces intact-- you might have to spread the rear portion of the door a little-- at least on this door it worked that way, Lawrence

here is the glass & parts no regulator-- what do you still have in the door?

The glass, the piece that is mounted on the bottom of the glass, the front channel top to bottom (channel is undone at the bottom of the door), and the vent gasket and a steel frame that goes around the vent gasket(big chrome piece is off) Its those damned white plastic whirly-gigs in the rails causing me grief!! The window fuzzies are still in too.

Thanks

The window fuzzies MUST come off first. Good luck trying not to destroy them in the process.
The vent window frame and the door glass has to be removed together as an assembly.
Did you remove the rubber plug from the inside of the door to loosten the Allen bolt that holds the vent window frame in place?

George

ok-- you still have your vent frame in(at least partly)-- the front channel(vent frame part) needs to come out, your window fuzzys need to come out, the front channel will have to be pried loose-- it has felt glides that hold the glass in place & allow it to slide up/down.
taking the fuzzies out will give more clearance for removal.
look at my picture, that is how your items should come out, it sounds like you have taken apart the vent window framework & left the back side of it attached to the door glass.(which is the front channel section)
Once that piece is seperated-- the glass will come out fairly quickly you just have to angle it to the back of the door (bigger opening) the plastic rear guide will come out that hole.
your almost there, Lawrence

wow George-- timing, good point-- the front channel piece has a bolt from the bottom of the door it runs through the loops in the front channel bottom pictured, also the vent frame has a mount point right in the middle bottom of the glass portion assembly, there is a small hole in your outer door frame that you run your allen tool or phillips screw driver to loosen that up.

Im thinking when i removed mine from my 70 dart there's a hole in the botom of the door with a nut up inside that has to be removed.Yours my be different.good luck

I have removed mine numerous times without removing the vent window. It can be done.
$120
Be careful not to damage those plastic pieces that are attached to the glass that are in the vent window channel. The repro ones are $120.

Have you removed this rubber piece in vent window frame?
There is little screw in there holding it... that might help you. You have to take the rubber cover pieces off also on the doors end near the door handle.

Attachments

• IMG_3150.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 266
Ok, I dont know how to "multi quote" everyones reply, so here goes.
The front channel does have a bolt in the bottom of the door, I took it out. I can literally grab that front channel and have it on a 45* angle in the door. I got the top rubber piece it, its been a while since I removed glass, but I remembered and removed 2 screws from there. Once they were out the big chrome piece for the vent window came out. Rubber piece on opposite end is out also.
George, the bottom of the vent window frame is out, there was a small phillips screw with a small clamp that wraps around the post from underneath. Its out. Not sure where there is a plug, I will take a look and see.
I thought the fuzzies would have to come out, but I want that to be the last thing, as it is helping keep the glass in one piece!LOL Its weird the window moves up and down about 2 ". Great about the plastic crap....$120 for a set?? Jeez. Its a donor door, but the glass is tinted and am trying to get it out for a fabo member, and trying to save as much pieces as I can.
What is left in the door as far as framework, seems to be "pivoting" right around where the vent frame and channel meet up. Im gonna go out and tackle it again.

Thanks everyone!!

Got the window, channel and the rest of the vent frame out. Thanks everyone!! Yep I forgot about the plug on the inside painted part of the door. Once I got that out, used the allen key, removed the outer fuzzie( it was toast and was trying to save the inner fuzzie, but bitched the inner one too!) So here are some pics, I still can only slide the glass so far, is there a way to get the white plastic inserts out?? As I said its a donor door, but want to keep as much odds and ends as possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF0103 (Medium).JPG
    134 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF0104 (Medium).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0107 (Medium).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 243
Oh... I was thinking you just wanted the roll up glass out and leave the vent window in. My bad.

Oh... I was thinking you just wanted the roll up glass out and leave the vent window in. My bad.

Thanks Mully, all I need is the main glass out, its out, now I just gotta figure out how to get the f'n channel off!! What a frustrating rusted POS!!

the channel should just slide right off-- it is possible stress to the felt /plastic-- that is the gasket seal between the glass & channel has caused it to bind-- that glass should slide smoothly up/down that channel. L

the channel should just slide right off-- it is possible stress to the felt /plastic-- that is the gasket seal between the glass & channel has caused it to bind-- that glass should slide smoothly up/down that channel. L

I figured something was bitched, the laminate is pooched. I guess I will see if I can get at the white plastic pieces and compress them.

it thats the round clip i'm thinking of then the center of it just punches out towards the outside, loosens the clip right up!
just use a center punch and knock `em out.

it thats the round clip i'm thinking of then the center of it just punches out towards the outside, loosens the clip right up!
just use a center punch and knock `em out.

???
Sorry, ya lost me. The clips I am talking about are in the drilled holes in the glass and ride in the front channel.
Where do you want me to use the center punch????LOL

guess i wasn't thinking of the right clips. I've got my window stuff out, i'll go downstairs and take a close look to see what you're working on, sorry for the mix up

guess i wasn't thinking of the right clips. I've got my window stuff out, i'll go downstairs and take a close look to see what you're working on, sorry for the mix up

No sweat Pauly, no offense intended, I thought maybe you had a few pints, or twisted sense of humor like me. thanks!!

-
Back