Door Hinge ?s

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
The question is can the driver's side door hinges be removed without taking the front fender off?

My driver's side door striker pin had busted loose when the previous previous owner (Mike) had the car. The ppo (Mike) did a quick weld the pin to the jamb and shimmed out the bottom hinge. The previous owner (Jim) said that was not his doing.

Well now the weld has broken loose again and it's time to get it fixed properly. My bodyman/mechanic looked at it and thinks the front fender will need to come off for him to rebuild the hinges and cut out & weld in the new striker post repair panel. I'm thinking when the door comes off the hinges should be accessible that way. Any ideas/opinions?

If the fender has to come off what all needs to be removed to do that? Front valance removed? Front bumper removed? Grille and headlight surrounds removed? Hood latch & radiator cross piece (from front fender to front fender) removed?

He's charging $65/hour and I'd like to have him do what I can't. So whatever I can do I will.

Thanks in advance for your experiences/inputs!

on my car the bolts are under the kick panel, so no don't think so......take the kick panels out and they should be right there..3 of them...u have a pic of your problem??

higgs

ok, just looked at my car....the bolts on the inside are under the dash, and kick panels.......one bolt goes from the outside in, but if u open the door u should be able to access it...........are the pins shot in the hinges? there's a pin and bushing kit u can get to fix that.......u should be able to take the pins out, take the door off for better access.....................
higgs

In a perfect world all those hindge bolts would be easy to access. Going between the opened door and fender usually just chips paint from the panels.
There is a short cut... If you'll purchase hindge bushing and pin kits... Just cut original pins into short pieces to remove them. Yes you would need to insert the new pin for top hindge from the bottom up but that's not a problem.

Dartgtman i was going to say easy well for me maybe, but the more i think about it the more that has to be taken off. take a good look at it should be self explanatory i mean the bumper yes the lower valace headlight trim around the head light and the front fender extension then the fender. may i ask what part of metro detroit are you in, may be able to help you out if you are somewhat close. I am out in Shelby Twp.

no one said anything is easy.........u don't have to take the fender off to take out the hinges........as redfish said, if the pins are bad, u can take them out, and install a pin and bushing kit, the hinges don't have to come off the car to do this.......i would just take the door off, unbolting them from the hinge is the easiest way........then u have total access to the hinge.......

if u have to take off the hinges, u can still do it without taking off the fender, u would take out the outside bolts first, (one in each hinge) there's plenty of access, you just need to be careful w/the paint........u can always put masking tape on the door and fender edge so u don't scratch anything........jmo, it's up to you...a pic would help of your problem.......

higgs

The pins are too long to drive out as is.
How I did mine... cut the pins, lay the door on an old blanket over a tire.
Reworked hinge halfs for new bushings without loosening any bolts.
Re hanged the door ( just as if it was a house door ). The lines and striker position went right back to OEM so I dont need to re adjust anything.

The pins are too long to drive out as is.
How I did mine... cut the pins, lay the door on an old blanket over a tire.
Reworked hinge halfs for new bushings without loosening any bolts.
Re hanged the door ( just as if it was a house door ). The lines and striker position went right back to OEM so I dont need to re adjust anything.

exactly!!! i believe i unbolted the door on mine from the hinge, and then cut the pins.........

higgs

-
Back