Door locks not working

-

Will_H#24

Reaction score
The door lock on my 69 Dart will not lock with the key or the button. All the linkage by what I can see appears to be on and working. especially the door button. It moves up and down and is connected. Hints?

Try unscrewing the plastic door lock. If it's too tight then you don't get the rods in full engagement.

Try unscrewing the plastic door lock. If it's too tight then you don't get the rods in full engagement.
LOL!!! My car is garaged so when I wasn’t able to lock the driver door, I didn’t put any effort into finding out why. I just went into the garage and unscrewed the pull about 6 times, the door lock works now!

Glad I could help.
Year's ago when I was in my teens, my friend used to screw the lock tight so he could open the passenger door with just pressing the door handle. That's when I caught on.

Glad I could help.
Year's ago when I was in my teens, my friend used to screw the lock tight so he could open the passenger door with just pressing the door handle. That's when I caught on.
Your buddies impulsivity thought us both a lesson decades apart!

He had a 65 Mustang and we used to cruise together all the time. He would play Nazareth and I would play Deep Purple. Both of us still have our cars! Mine is the one in my avatar! 3rd owner.

Unscrewing the button worked. Thanks Now I just need to get it to lock and unlock with the key. The key works but doesn't unlock the door.

If you can, take the door locks out and take them along with the key to a lock smith. Get them to look the over and make sure the pins are correct for the key.

If you can, take the door locks out and take them along with the key to a lock smith. Get them to look the over and make sure the pins are correct for the key.
Oh they turn they just didn't lock or unlock the door. There's a rod that goes from the lock down to the latch that won't stay in place because there is nothing to hold the lower end of the rod to keep it in the hole.

There are clips that hold these rods in place. I've seen them in metal and plastic but I don't know what type your car uses. Add a question here as to which type you have and where you can get them. Someone here will have the information and share it with you.

Last edited:
-
Back