Door panel backers

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
Time for me to get started with the interior. I will be doing some type of custom door panel and seats. The backer panels I removed from the car have seen better days. Water damage, edges flaking off, you get the picture.
I was at Lowes yesterday to look into some type of panel material to use. 1/8" tempered hardboard was probably what was used originally, a sheet of that goes for $7. They also carry a 1/8" "tileboard" which looks pretty much like hardboard but is more water resistant - that costs $12-16 a sheet. They did not have 1/8" plexiglass, although it could be ordered for $$$.
Anyone use the tileboard? Any downside? Anyone use this stuff to make the rear package shelf?
Thanks,
C

I just got my door panels cut out about a week ago using that $7 4x8 sheet of hard board from lowes. I can't remember if it was 1/8 or 1/16. I think it was 1/8. Also I don't really think you will need the water proof board unless you plan on driving your car in the rain a lot and getting the doors soaked when you open the door.

Thanks for your response. I wasn't really so concerned about the inside surface, more likely the surface next to the door when it's washed or driven in the rain. On the other hand, the original board lasted nearly 40 years... I will be placing some new plastic sheet behind it.
C

I've always found a layer of thin vinyl sheeting between the door board and the door frame that does the water proofing job. I cut mine out of semi-clear vinyl sheeting like contractors use to cover materials on job site. This gets bonded to the door frame with rubber cement. (It's the closest I have found to the factory adhesive I find there.) After the cement has taken hold, I go through with an Exacto knife to cut out holes for the upholstery clips, operating hardware, and arm rest assembly. If the door panel has been cut for a speaker, some water barrier will be needed to keep it dry.

The 1/8 th" masonite sounds like a viable choice. In addition to the vinyl sheeting as 2 Darts mentioned, you could always give it a coat of marine varnish to waterproof it before you install the covers.

-
Back