Door Panels Refresh - 1965 Dart GT 2 Door Hardtop

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Restored my door panels. The rears were bad (sorry no before photos, so imagine). The hardboard was warped. Might have flattened it with steam or such, but replaced with ABS sheet, using the old ones as template. ABS is nice because you can easily weld it, indeed as you cut with a jigsaw you must keep the cut pieces apart so they don't re-melt together. I bought sheet about 2" too short to save cost (pricey) and melted on stubs for little curved projections of the panel. The vinyl on the rear panels had detached and wrinkled up, so looked a lost cause. A P.O. had "fixed 'er" with duct tape at the top which left messy residue, but cleaned up with ethanol. Seems rainwater leaks loosened the glue, then heat (gets hot here) allowed the vinyl to shrink and wrinkle. With vinyl off, I first tried a heat gun, but risky to not damage it. Better was pouring very hot water, then stretching by hand while soft until cooled. I used a sink hot-water dispenser (~160 F). The vinyl stays soft even after it cools until you can put your hands on it (~120 F). Once I had the ABS sheet, I used it to stretch and form the vinyl to match the holes (crank, armrest). I glued it with E6000 and a little Gorilla Glue around the edges (careful since it foams and swells). The plastic chrome-covered strip had shrunk and crinked, so unusable. I glued foam sheet to the rear so it wouldn't slap around against the steel body.

The front panels were mostly straight and the vinyl still glued, so hadn't shrunk. I peeled it off and reglued since the OE glue was friable. The OE fabric behind the vinyl had degraded on one front vinyl, so I glued on thin polyester cloth from a thin blanket. The panel clips holes were buggered (common), so I installed them and secured with strips of woven fiberglass and epoxy. I then added a thin woven fiberglass backing, holding it flat with the weight of concrete roof tiles to remove slight waviness, with thin foam atop the fiberglass sheet for noise reduction. Surprisingly, the epoxy gave plenty of time, unlike past work, perhaps from cooler weather and better measurement of hardener. The chrome plastic strip was well glued, so I left it, but the chrome had peeled off. I'll leave like that until I find a replacement or perhaps use chrome paint. Both vinyl sheets had whitish discoloration. Might have been old wax or protectant, but my guess is tiny particles of degraded plastic. Regardless, most washed off with heavy scrubbing and carpet cleaner, leaving black "plastic dirt" in the bucket. After wiping with TriNova Plastic Restorer, it looked almost new (Amazon product ASIN B01AAZ1OAE). Unlike some, which are apparently a black dye, TriNova is a clear liquid. It similarly restored faded black plastic trim and door handles on my newer cars.

For weathershield, I cut leftover polymer roofing underlayment. I've used clear plastic before on several cars. Final photo is what I used to replace the degraded seat backer hardboard. I had stripped a 1983 M-B 300D for parts (have 2 cars) and figured it's woven fabric sheet would work great on my Dart, which it did with a little trimming. For the degraded package tray, I used ABS sheet (heated to fold), covered with vinyl "leather" with fabric backing from Joann's Fabrics. Similarly, for the sail panels, I cut ABS sheet, covered with foam sheet to stop rattles. Don't you hate that the best they could use in the day was paperboard?

20230216_113650.jpg

20230216_113708.jpg

20230216_113808.jpg
20230216_113834.jpg

20230216_114012.jpg
20230216_114040.jpg

Thanks for all the tips. I have a bottle of the Trinova on the way from Amazon. Could we see a picture of your car? I noticed it was yellow, and I have a yellow 65 GT convertible and a yellow coupe, both of them yellow with black interiors. Except for the Dart Chargers, you don’t see a lot of them.

Came to me in a faded yellow, but unlikely the OE color (haven't checked fender tag) since was said to have been abandoned at a body shop after painting, plus a lot of dent repairs visible from inside. The engine bay had the classic "upgrade" of "spray rattle-can black paint over rust, dirt, and grease". I had to get it down to shiny metal. The trunk had the upgrade of "glue home carpet to seatback and cover trunk trunk to assure it can stay wet". I just repainted myself last summer, using 1-part polyurethane Interlux Brightsides "boat paint", mixing my own color. But need to fix it some places where I sanded runs and repainted but didn't match perfectly. I painted the top white, where the GT would have had a vinyl roof (usually black?) because vinyl roof are rust magnets and don't last long in our sun.

273 w/ 904, but irrelevant to this thread, so lets keep it concise for other readers.

-
Back