door panels

-

sweatybetty

Reaction score
anyone make their own? im looking at buy some masonite and material to do my own. year one doesnt list them and paddock only lists the rear doors.........on a 66 bcuda???? looking for pictures, ideas. i dont think that just vinyl glued on would look bad but some design would look a bit better. thanks all

I'm pretty sure Legendary Interiors makes them, but they're expensive. Actually, I'm also pretty sure that any door panel from a 1964-1966 Valiant, Barracuda, Dart2dr will pop right on your Barracuda door, although patterns will vary. I bought perfect used black rear and door panels from a 1966 Barracuda for my 1964 Valiant on Ebay. Just some different options, Mike

I'd guess you can make your own. Match the masonite pattern from the old ones, and make sure to copy the rectangular holes in them as well for the spring clips used to hold the panel on.

Then once fitted then buy some thin 1/4" or so sheet upholstery grade foam, cut to fit the shape of the panel, then adhere it with contact adhesive. After that use some upholstery grade vinyl or fabric what have you - cut to fit larger than the panel so it can folded around the edges - again adhere with contact adhesive and use short staples to secure on the backside. Not sure how you handle the corners because the material will bunch up, maybe a good reason to use fabric that can stretch. Some experimentation might be wise before getting in too deep.

Another thought is to research for an automotive interiors customizing book that covers making door panels etc.

Tadjou, what is that backer board called and where do you find it and the foam material?
Bob

Tadjou, what is that backer board called and where do you find it and the foam material?
Bob

I forget what it's called but it is 1/8 thick hardboard panel that comes in 4' X 8' sheets. I bought it at Home Depot, I'm sure other building supplies carries it.

The foam is 1/8" thick closed cell foam variety that I bought online but can't remember where as I did the panels 2 years ago.

The black vinyl is black stretchable type that they sell at poker table supply places also online.

Tadjou

Wow those door panels look nice. I also did my own, I used the same closed cell padding. I bought it from ebay and it was called poker table foam. here are a couple of pics from the cell phone.

Mine are nothing spectacular as this is my first attempt at interior work but I think they are a step up from stock.

the material is marathon tweed from http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
and was pretty cheap at $10 per yard.

IMG00103 (Small).jpg

IMG00099 (Small).jpg

We do manufacture the 66 Barracuda door panels. The fronts are $231 and the fastback rears are $126. They are available in black, pearl white, metallic navy, citron and crimson red. Thanks. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

I made some for my Road Runner. Check out this link.

Home made door panels

Tadjou

tadjou, those are sweet. i do have a couple of q's though.
how did you cut the grooves?
did you pull the material tight on the front or just the back around the edges?
has the material lifted from the bottom of the grooves yet?
what kind of material is that? it looks like vinyl.
once again, very nice

Wow those door panels look nice. I also did my own, I used the same closed cell padding. I bought it from ebay and it was called poker table foam. here are a couple of pics from the cell phone.

Mine are nothing spectacular as this is my first attempt at interior work but I think they are a step up from stock.

the material is marathon tweed from http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/
and was pretty cheap at $10 per yard.

player1up, i like the design you have. did you buy it that way or did you have to sew the pieces?

funny thing.. no sewing involved. I used the 1/8" foam and covered the foam individually then glued to the board and wrapped it around the back at the edges.

basically the material is "tucked" into the cut in the foam with glue. I used the permatex heavy duty carpet spray glue. I also did the dash pad in black and the top door plastics in grey. but thats all I have done so far. (i'm doing bodywork now ...ugh)

I plan on putting a big grey plymouth logo on the rear deck (that will be black) in the same way.

Made a template and laid both layers of foam together so both doors are EXACTLY alike.

Wife was REALLY happy about car parts in the living room :evil: :lol:

IMG00101 (Small).jpg

-
Back