Doris Day '69 Ragtop

-
Did you mention the build date ?

Yeah, the fender tag will show the scheduled build date.

I'm speculating that if Chrysler provided cars for a TV series that they would want the studios to have them ASAP to get maximum exposure of their current models. Black plates very well could have been issued because .CA hadn't switched over to the blue ones yet.

Miss Hathaway ALWAYS had brand new Dodge convertibles on the Beverly Hillbillies. The banker seemed to have Imperials.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but most all the black plates were used up with the 1968 model year cars. All the 69's seem to have the Blue and Gold plates.

Both California black plates and blue plates were issued to new cars in 1969. The previously-owned '69 340 Swinger I purchased in November 1969 had black plates. The plates were toward the end of the black plate era because the first letter on the plate was a 'Y'.

Can you post the data plate? Curious about the breakdown.
Was it a special order or handling car ?
Build date ?
Options ?
Etc...

Kinda hard to make out, and I have it all deciphered in my notes at home, but from what I understand the '719' VON does signify something other than standard.
IMG_20190820_165158.jpg

Well, not exactly.

I have a few recorded for 1969 so far;

705xxx is Sales Bank - Y16

720xxx & 733 are both Company Car - Y28

735xxx is Y22 - Corporate Lease

I have also seen a 731xxx & now a 719xxx, this one.

The 7 series VONs (so far) do seem to indicate that Chrysler retained ownership, at least for a while.

Most likely loaned to the studio as a promo car. Then sold to a dealer to resell to the public .
Manufacturers still do this.

Well, not exactly.

I have a few recorded for 1969 so far;

705xxx is Sales Bank - Y16

720xxx & 733 are both Company Car - Y28

735xxx is Y22 - Corporate Lease

I have also seen a 731xxx & now a 719xxx, this one.

The 7 series VONs (so far) do seem to indicate that Chrysler retained ownership, at least for a while.

Where do you see the 7 series code ?

I see the 719893 now. I never realized it signified anything other than a order sequence.

Both California black plates and blue plates were issued to new cars in 1969. The previously-owned '69 340 Swinger I purchased in November 1969 had black plates. The plates were toward the end of the black plate era because the first letter on the plate was a 'Y'.
I think this is black, and going along with your logic, the "Z" would be late in the sequence.

IMG_20190919_161947459.jpg

The ZCL series would be early in the 69 model year, I'm surprised the studios used the actual plates for the car, even at that time the studios would use movie plates and would often be seen on different cars.

I had two different 69's both with Z series plates, 69 Pontiac ZNR-889 and a 69 Polara ZWY-529

Alan

It'll certainly stay with the car, whether the car is with me or some future owner. The first owner gave the other plate to a collector friend of his mother's, so there's a match out there somewhere!

Try to hunt down the other plate and get it back, or have a replica plate made to replace it. Cool story on the vert.

I see the underdash ac vent and also fresh air doors. And no compressor on the engine. Was it removed before you got the car?

Very late to the party here, but gotta say...this is one of the coolest threads I've seen in ages! That is one special car!

-
Back