"dork moment" question regarding oil dipstick reading

-

2kids

Reaction score
Just checked the oil dipstick on my /6 and it's reading WAY WAY too high. Check it while the engine was warm and running.

Replaced the head gasket last summer - car runs fine.

Now I'm questioning if my buddy added too much oil back when we did the head gasket or what?

Suggestions? Drain it and start over? Or is this ever "normal" with slants?

Thanks!

you never check the oil with the engine running. only after its been sitting with engine off for at least 10 minutes.

you check the transmission fluid while hot in neutral

I'm such a noob - whatever though, I really don't care if I sound like a dumb *** I'm havin' fun.

I'm such a noob - whatever though, I really don't care if I sound like a dumb *** I'm havin' fun.
lmao , its all good man, at least you didnt check the trans fluid cold and add 10-30 to it LOL
we all started somewhere

lmao , its all good man, at least you didnt check the trans fluid cold and add 10-30 to it LOL
we all started somewhere

hahaha - cool at least I actually know something!! check the tranny hot and in neutral and it "burps" if its overfilled which I have definitely experienced. I'm gunna go check my oil again (if I can handle it) - and post an update for sure!

hahaha - cool at least I actually know something!! check the tranny hot and in neutral and it "burps" if its overfilled which I have definitely experienced. I'm gunna go check my oil again (if I can handle it) - and post an update for sure!
good luck out there man, dont hurt yourself LOL
im sure you can handle it :D

seriously man - a 71 dart and a 76 duster - always leaks, squeaks, etc. but it's cool they look nice in the driveway and my son digs driving the duster to school - all good...just gotta try to keep up with my craigslist mechanics and I figure I'm learning something....lol.

Ya coulda put 5 quarts in after an oil change,...only to realize I left the damn drain plug out,....5 quarts on the shop floor,...only did that once,...

Ya coulda put 5 quarts in after an oil change,...only to realize I left the damn drain plug out,....5 quarts on the shop floor,...only did that once,...

At least you stopped at 5 qts. Friend of mine waited untill he used 8 qts before asking me how many qts it should take.

Excellent - thank you! I'm starting to feel just a tad better now...lmao

Just don't ask me to discuss my first attempt at painting the car.....really good "learning experience"!!!

Excellent - thank you! I'm starting to feel just a tad better now...lmao

it could be worse, i was in line at auto zone a few years back and a lady actually went up to the parts counter asking the parts guy for brake light fluid

-
Back