Dot 5 Temperature

-

ronw

Reaction score
Does anyone know the temperature range for Dot 5? My exhaust flange on the drivers side is less than 1/4" away from the proportioning valve. Will this cause brake problems on long drives?

Its not the best situation. I believe the boiling point is 500* but not positive. I have a very similar situation on my Dart. I bought the heat sleeves from summit and wrapped them brake hoses in them. I havent had my car on the road yet so I cant say for sure if this will be a problem or not. Mine sits off to the side, i think that it would be worse to have it above the exhaust.
Best of Luck.
Rod

I run dot 5 in all my cars,have for the past 20 years.It's really good stuff.I'd put the heat shields on but I doubt you'd have a problem with boiling the fluid from a long trip.The air flow is taking that heat far away real fast.If you were sitting in traffic for hours crawling along it may get hot so the shields are a good idea for that.

dry boiling point is 500 degrees/wet boiling point is 356 degrees. I used it back in the late 80's and it was ok . I would still put heat shields or wrap the lines/valve. Going fast is great but nothing compares to stopping when needed!

DOT 5 silicone doesn't absorb water like regular glycol fluid so it should maintain its boiling point forever, which is ~500 F. If water did get in, it would settle at the lowest point, which is unlikely to be the hot spot. If it was, the water could boil to cause spongy vapor. But don't drip water in since it can cause rust. Same issue with your power steering reservoir. DOT 5 is actually a rating and there are glycol fluids which now meet it. They are termed 5.1 to distinguish from silicone. Being glycols, they can absorb water, which lowers boiling point and causes rust.

-
Back